Page 1 of 1

New large aquarium questions

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 pm
by Ryano
So, I've got my new 125 gallon aquarium set up and have some questions that I know you all can help me with. First, on my FX6 filter (set up like the FX5 in the media thread in the equipment section) how often do I need to clean it? It has the blue sponge, carbon and lots of bio media as shown in the thread.

2nd question, how often do I need to do a partial water change? How much water is recommended? I was doing a weekly partial change in my 40 gallon, but I figure with the FX6 and larger aquarium it will be much less often.

3rd question, does anyone use moss balls (real or artificial) are they worth having in the aquarium?

Re: New large aquarium questions

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:30 pm
by steve
1 & 2 - How often you need to clean it depends on the media and the waste it collects. I think 1-2 months is normal for adequate canisters, I think there is one person who has gone a year without cracking it open. Partial changes could be done 2-4 weeks, it depends on how much water you're changing. A few of us test water parameters to determine when to change the water.

3 - I don't but some here do. If I recall, some are left alone and most are just destroyed.