Page 1 of 1

Vacation without a Timer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:33 pm
by dancermdm
So I'm going away on a trip (just 2 days, 2 night) and I haven't been able to get a timer for my turtle's lights. Since I will be gone, and nobody will be around to manage the lights for me, I don't know what to do. Should I leave the lights (I have one desk lamp, just for light, and a mercury vapor bulb) on the whole time that I am gone or off? I have a couple of really bright windows on the other side of the room that I could open (usually I close the blinds), so Crush gets a sense of night and day. But what should I do about the lights? I want him to be able to have a basking light while I'm gone, but since he usually sleeps below his basking platform, I feel like that would disturb his sleep. I can move the desk lamp to the other side, so the side he usually sleeps on is dark and he gets light on the other side. I'm leaving tonight, so please reply quickly. I was going to have a sitter, but things got cancelled last minute. Thank you.

Re: Vacation without a Timer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:36 pm
by dancermdm
The windows will provide enough light so that he will be able to tell whether it is day or night, but is sacrificing the UV for the weekend really bad?

Re: Vacation without a Timer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 am
by Into_the_Mystic
I'd just leave the lights on. Basking is pretty important.

Re: Vacation without a Timer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:07 am
by steve
They'll be fine for a weekend with no UVB. However, I'm not so sure I would leave a MVB unattended for that long.

Re: Vacation without a Timer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:53 pm
by devilduck
It's safer to just leave them off, the turtle will be fine now basking for a couple of days/nights.