General Care Discussion :: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:34 am   How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

I am using a standard glass stick thermometer to measure the temp of the basking area. However, I'm getting different readings based on where I measure. If I lay the thermometer flat on the ground, the temperature reaches 37 degrees. If I suspend it in the air, about 2-3 cm from the ground and near to the light source, the temperature is 34. Which temperature measurement should I be using?

My RES's shell is about 3 cm long. I believe I should have a basking area temp of about 32-35 degrees, right?
Last edited by typci on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
typci
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 31, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 pm   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

I would move the lamp up a little bit since you have a hatchling. If possible, have a larger basking area so your turtle can move around and choose it's preferred temperature.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 pm   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

you can try one of those thermometers used for lizard tanks. They stick to the side with Velcro. Just put it at about the same height as your turtle. It won't tell you exactly what the temp is at the exact spot your turtle is sitting, but it will give a general idea of whether or not the area is way too hot or too cold.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 am   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

I use a cooking thermometer. Its very accurate. Around 90 degrees or 32°C should do.I just check the hottest spot on the basking platform. Laying flat on the dock.I keep it a little cooler for my little ones.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
User avatar
Kansasslider
 
Posts: 3043
Joined: May 10, 2012
Location: Manhattan,Kansas.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 am   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

Thanks for the replies. After giving the bulb a week to break in the temperature has gone down (Now at 31-33 degrees when laying flat) so it seems fine. Water temp is around 26-28 degrees.

However, my RES seems to have another problem. He seems to be hibernating. Unfortunately when I bought the RES I was badly informed by the shop owner about the requirements (He told me no need for land, that the turtle would be fine in a tank of water, and just as long as the water was heated I'd be fine). So after noticing my RES was sleeping a lot I did research to find out what was going on. Long story short, he now has a basking area, UVB bulb, etc. However, he still sleeps a lot. When he does wake up, he seems fine. He eats, swims, etc. I can't find any signs of disease. When is sleeping though, he is not very responsive. Once he wakes up though, he is very responsive. He also only seems to like to eat pellets. I've offered him chicken liver, beef, spinach, shrimp (live and dead), and he doesn't want any of it. But put a few pellets in the water and he goes chasing after them. One time I saw him chasing after the fish and shrimp in the aquarium, but he was too slow to catch them. Any ideas?
typci
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 31, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 am   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

sleeping is not so bad. Penelope alwayssnoozes while basking and sometimes even sleeps ubderwater during the day.If he is eating and swimng and acting normal when not sleeping, |I would not worry about it.

@Kansasslider - I like the cooking thermometer idea. Is it the kind you poke into meat? Only asking because Penelope decided to make a meal out of the glass thermometer I was using for water temp. Sifting through umpteen pounds of sand to find crushed glass stunk! I bought another and the tip broke before I even got it in the water (they are so poor quality these days). That meat thermomer might come in handy to test water temp (if I find a way to keep her from eating it)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 am   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

The cooking thermometer is called an ACURITE .
Attachments
2014-01-07 06.46.37.jpg
2014-01-07 06.47.01.jpg
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
User avatar
Kansasslider
 
Posts: 3043
Joined: May 10, 2012
Location: Manhattan,Kansas.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:35 pm   Re: How to measure the temperature of the basking area?

typci wrote:
However, my RES seems to have another problem. He seems to be hibernating. Unfortunately when I bought the RES I was badly informed by the shop owner about the requirements (He told me no need for land, that the turtle would be fine in a tank of water, and just as long as the water was heated I'd be fine). So after noticing my RES was sleeping a lot I did research to find out what was going on. Long story short, he now has a basking area, UVB bulb, etc. However, he still sleeps a lot. When he does wake up, he seems fine. He eats, swims, etc. I can't find any signs of disease. When is sleeping though, he is not very responsive. Once he wakes up though, he is very responsive. He also only seems to like to eat pellets. I've offered him chicken liver, beef, spinach, shrimp (live and dead), and he doesn't want any of it. But put a few pellets in the water and he goes chasing after them. One time I saw him chasing after the fish and shrimp in the aquarium, but he was too slow to catch them. Any ideas?


It's not really hibernating, but more of a change in behavour during winter months (or, as Steve usually describes it, seasonal disorder :idea:). The same thing happens to my :msgreen: every winter, she sleeps a lot, that is more than usual, even during daytime, and she tends to reject certain foods. If your turt is acting normal when awake, I'd say don't worry, but do keep an eye on him. Btw, spinach is not really recommended, neither is meat, generally, so if he doesn't eat those, it's for his own good, I guess :)
Bobo - 7 1/2 year old female RES
80 gallon tank, JBL CristalProfi e1501 Greenline canister filter, Eheim Jager 200W heater, Reptile UVB 100 25W bulb (former ReptiGlo 5.0 26W)
User avatar
xcristina
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Dec 1, 2013
Location: Targu Mures, Romania
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 218 guests