Page 1 of 1

Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 am
by Andibenn
My RES is ready to be sexed and I am ready to know what size tank I will ultimately need. I have tried to figure it out but I just do not trust my own judgment; I'm guessing female because of the claws. I have the best pictures I could get because Tubbs does not like posing.

Image
Image

best picture I could get of the claws:
Image

Also, if anyone sees anything that is concerning about his/her looks, please do not hesitate to let me know. He/she has been overfed in the past because I have a dad who spoils children and pets alike, but I have cut the diet down by using the size of the head rule I read about on here (diet was reptomin pellets, but trying out wardley now, plus baby shrimp treats once in a while). Can't get him/her to eat vegetables though. I know he/she grew too fast. I found him/her in 2011 and I believe he/she was a hatchling at that time but not sure how old.

so, is it a :mrgreen: or is it a :msgreen: ?? :)

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 am
by mantis
from the pics i would say female.

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
She is a Female and because of the fast growth she has retained scute which is why she is so spikey. You try turtle jello shots? Also blueberrys. You need to work on her to get the scutes to shed. You wanna look for a wheat germ based pellet like Hikari Wheat-Germ. All this will help her with trying to shed her scutes.

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm
by Andibenn
Thanks Mantis and Diamondbacks4Life! I thought as much. And is the recipe for turtle Jell-O shots on this forum or site somewhere? Thought I had read about it before but can't remember where. So, hikari wheat germ, like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ARID0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364400968&sr=8-1&pi=SL75 ? Should I go for the next size up or will 3.5oz be enough for a while?

Thanks for all of your help :)

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 pm
by kerby
i think its about that time for my turt Izzy to!

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 am
by steve
For the pellets, cut down even more... less than head six every other day. If you suspect some food being sneaked around, presort it in a pill box or have them offer her veggies instead. I'd just keep offering some leafy greens and carrots. Look into freshwater aquatic plants as well.

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
Andibenn wrote:Thanks Mantis and Diamondbacks4Life! I thought as much. And is the recipe for turtle Jell-O shots on this forum or site somewhere? Thought I had read about it before but can't remember where. So, hikari wheat germ, like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ARID0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364400968&sr=8-1&pi=SL75 ? Should I go for the next size up or will 3.5oz be enough for a while?

Thanks for all of your help :)


Thats the mini, the one you want should look like: Hikari Wheat Germ Pellets


Link to the recipe on the forum
Jello Shot

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm
by Andibenn
Ordered the right wheat germ pellets. Now, how should I introduce them into her diet? I have cut down on the pellets, thanks for the advice Steve, but how much of the wheat germ do I give her? Clearly, I have been overfeeding, so best to not trust my own judgment on this haha. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 am
by steve
You can alternate or just mix it together. I mix it with 2 other pellets but I know some people use it once or twice a week.

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
Same as steve. I just mix it with my main pellets so 25% of pellets fed is the wheat germ

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 am
by Morla
You can alternate or just mix it together. I mix it with 2 other pellets but I know some people use it once or twice a week.


Do you guys feed wheat germ year round, or only when a shed is overdue?

TY

Re: Sexing this little rascal

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 am
by steve
I use it year round, mainly to add variety. I do not have conclusive evidence that it helps with shedding.