General Care Discussion :: Skin shedding..I think

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am   Skin shedding..I think

I have read the description for skin shedding on the red ear slider website and that description matches what i think I'm seeing but it is excessive. He is shedding quite a bit on his neck arms and back legs. Is this ok or is there something I need to change? He also seems a little (not a huge change) less active but I was thinking maybe he is just tired from swimming all the time?

More skin shedding is this normal? Maybe skin fungus?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
By his neck and arms (an updated better picture)
Last edited by nmbnikki on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nikki
RES: Mr.T :mrgreen:
User avatar
nmbnikki
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Location: La Crosse, WI
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 am   Re: Skin shedding..I think

It seems close to normal for me. What's the water temperature at?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 am   Re: Skin shedding..I think

It usually stays abetween about 70-76 degrees
Nikki
RES: Mr.T :mrgreen:
User avatar
nmbnikki
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Location: La Crosse, WI
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am   Re: Skin shedding..I think

I would keep it *a little* more consistent but the shedding should be OK. What's he basking area like? Any spots for him to rest?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 am   Re: Skin shedding..I think

Yes I have a platform that adjusts to water level and is right under baskng lamp. I posted another newer picture but I don't know how we'll you can see it
Nikki
RES: Mr.T :mrgreen:
User avatar
nmbnikki
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Location: La Crosse, WI
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 am   Re: Skin shedding..I think

My turtle does this when he doesn't bask.
Name/Type/Sex: Yoshi/Cumberland Slider/Female
Age/Shell Size: 8 yrs/SCL 7 inches (03/05/12)
Tank Size: 40g Breeder
User avatar
stopgaming
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 191 guests