General Care Discussion :: UVB lighting

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:17 pm   

grey goose wrote:
Not necessarily true. Especially if you are using a compact bulb. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the straight bulbs, but I'm now convinced my compact bulb has caused problems with my guys.

Image


Oh no. That's exactly what had happened to my Rockie as well. How long did you exposed your turtles everyday when yours are having eyes problem? i used to turn on 8 hrs a day for Rockie. 3 days later, his eyes were swollen and always hide himself from the light. now i'm trying to use the "problem" light for a short period of time everyday. I gradually increase 1 hr each day and see if my turtle can adapt to the new light.
mini
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 pm   

crock1120, I found no sarcasm in her reply... and if you're familiar with her other posts, you'll find out she's very helpful and friendly.

Anyway, you can always bump up the basking temps... my RES tend to like it warmer.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:30 pm   

mini, what kind of bulb are you using and when did you start using it?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:30 pm   

And crock1120, I sincerely apologize for firing back the way I did. Not helpful at all. I'll try to do better next time.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:35 pm   

Sorry if I took things the wrong way spotsmama... I just want my turts to be healthy. I don't want to be the reason for them getting sick. So, thanks for the help...

Anyways, what is the max temp. that the basking section should be? Also, could them not basking (atleast while im around) have anything to do with switching from a turtle log and a stack of rocks to a turtle dock? I've had the turtle dock in the tank for almost 2 weeks.

Thanks
RES = Lisa 4"
RES = T-Rex 5"
User avatar
crock1120
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Jan 19, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:51 pm   

My temps can go into the high 90s, but lately I've been using a lower power lamp and they still enjoy it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:56 pm   

What wattage does ur lamp give out?
RES = Lisa 4"
RES = T-Rex 5"
User avatar
crock1120
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Jan 19, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:02 am   

Currently its a 75 watt halogen flood. Previously I had a 100 watt ceramic heater (might have been higher).
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:04 am   

Crock, here' a discussion of basking temperature from the past:

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... sweet+spot

There was another that I couldn't find where someone did a very methodical test, starting at a relatively low basking temperature and raising it a couple of degrees at a time. He/she found that there was an ideal temperature where his/her turtles preferred to bask. That seemed to be a very good approach though time consuming.

I think turtles have individual "sweet spots" where they find the temperature just perfect. Spot basked the most last summer under the Texas sun where the temperature frequently exceeds 100. I wouldn't try that inside, though. Maybe your turtles are finding the temperature too warm.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:29 am   

Thanks, everyone... I have tried highg temps around 96 or so and now I will try to move the uva light higher away from the basking area to lower the temp. a little bit. I will post again if I have any problems.

Thanks again.
RES = Lisa 4"
RES = T-Rex 5"
User avatar
crock1120
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Jan 19, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:45 am   

Before, I had a thermometer for the basking area my turtles would bask in what I found out later to be around ~100+ at the very center. They would bask quite a bit, but I guess not all day.

Recently, I tried lowering to ~85, but they didn't like it at all. So I'm going to try other temps hopefully for a happy medium.
g29w
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Dec 3, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:01 pm   

UVB rays from the sun (much stronger than a conventional UVB light) are supposed to penetrate only a few inches of water, so I really don't think that your turtle will get anything meaningful from a 5 or 7% UVB light if he's in the water. It would be good to get as much of the basking area under the tube flourescent as possible. With a 5% to 7% Reptisun, you should have the light 6-8 inches from your basking turtle.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:09 pm   

Marisa, a question. Would you recommend the 6" to 8" distance for a Reptisun compact flourescent, or only for a tube flourescent? I was wondering your opinion after the earlier discussions regarding the compact flourescents.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:15 pm   

I have one Reptisun 10.0 compact flourescent that I'm still using, and it's at the end of it's useable life (almost 7 months). It's 6 inches from the painteds that bask under it (because it's old).

I've never bought a 5% Reptisun compact flourescent but if I did, I would have it 6-8 inches away; for the 10.0, I'd have it 10 - 12 inches away since it would be new.

I remember reading some of the earlier discussions about the compact flourescents, and I've read of keepers having some questions about the bulbs on other sites. I've never had any of the problems mentioned with the 10.0 (I've used 5 of them and still keep one new one as an "emergency" bulb), though, so I don't see changing my opinion. But, like I think I've written before, the positioning, type of reflector used and the lighting used in conjunction with it are all important. I've seen it repeatedly suggested (not here) that the light used with it (for heat) be one that balances out the pinkish/bluish hues that the 10.0 produces, something that seems to always be left out of the discussion.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:20 pm   

Thanks.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 236 guests