General Care Discussion :: Got a "pooing" prob. with the baby..HELP...

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:43 pm   Got a "pooing" prob. with the baby..HELP...

Since I have had Leo..(about 5 months old) for about 3 weeks; he has pood once loosely, and I wasnt too worried since he was adapting to eating new foods, lighting, water, etc...Since then he has pooed on the bottom and I either get it out or he eats it I suppose; but just NOW...I was petting his back on his ramp and he was just sitting there and he pooed on the dock..and it was almost as loose as pee.... it was dark though and was sorta greenish brown... He did it twice and let out a pretty big amount for such a little thing?!

What could do this?! Tobi never had diarhea bouts at all! This is sorta scary!

Ideas please~ :roll:
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:44 pm   

What's his diet like? I've heard that too much vegetation can lead to diarrhea.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:49 pm   

He hasnt eaten ANY veges yet. He's too small and when I got him all he had eaten was crickets. He eats Reptomin, and baby krill and shrimp. I give cuttle bone, and it floats, and greens but they float around also. He is about 2" now.
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:52 pm   

You may want to get him checked for intestinal parasites just to be safe.
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:55 pm   

Ya think since this is the 1st Ive seen of this it would be ok to clean out his water and up his water temp from 79 to 82 and see what happens? I wouldnt give it too long. He is swimming, eating, and acting great. If there were other problems; I would get an appt. asap! But, I still might...if he is like this in the AM.
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:25 pm   

Ok..just cleaned his water...and in the meantime, had him in a bucket with a towel and there was loose poo all over the towel..smelling like a farm.. whew!

Just put him back in his tank..so far no poo.....
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:31 pm   

Darn! I tried to post a response earlier but it never made it through. :?

Well, here it is again...

If you haven't already cleaned up the poo, you could try to get some of it into a ziplock bag and refrigerate it overnight. Then bring it to the vet in the morning and leave it there for them to examine when they have time. Usually they will do it for like $10 or $20 and call you with the results.
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:37 pm   

oh crap! Well...IF he does it again..Ill try to get some. Dang! It would have been so easy in that tub! Oh well. Ill keep looking..hope he dont..but if he does, Ill be ready!
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 pm   

yea, crap! :evil: I hate it when that happens. I think if two people try to post at exactly the same time it loses one of them. :? Oh well, if he is infected, he'll probably do it again the next time he eats. Hopefully it was just a little upset tummy and he's back to normal now. :)
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 pm   

I hope so :(

I am sooo wanting to give him the best life since his start was aweful. And if he is sick...well...it would just stink!
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:07 am   

At least parasites like worms are usually easy to treat and don't cause lasting harm. But I don't know where he would have picked up any since he doesn't eat greens. Has he had any live food lately?
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:11 am   

Nope. I havent given him worms..which is the only live food I give Tobi. Just pellets so far.

Parasites only come from greens? Hmmm...maybe he just ate too much pellets this morning? Could that do it?
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:58 am   

Parasites don't always come from greens. It sounds like he has some sort of gastrointestinal upset.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm   

Well..it is 4:30pm and he ate a few (about 4 pellets) and he hasnt pooed since on his dock, but it looks as though there are some flaky pieces on the bottom of the tank. So HOPEFULLY it is hardening up! :roll:

Im checking as much as I can. My F-I-L passed this am....so I will be busy and gone ALOT the next few days...for funeral, family etc...Im praying he does well from now on.

Just wanted to update ya'll. [/i]
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:27 pm   

ok so I have a question that goes along with this.

I have had my older turtle for 2 years now and I have to say I actually do not know what his *poo* looks like. I may have seen it from time to time and just didn't know what it was. And with my little one the same thing. I can tell that the fish with him are *pooping* well they leave their *strings* all over the place. But with that could some one explain to me what "normal" *poo* looks like. Or if anyone happens to have a pic or know where one is on this site could you let me know. ~Clueless
2 RES~ Cereal Box & Cheerios
2 Ferrets ~ Alaska & Snowball
2 Cats ~ Jasmine & Cinder
1 Dog ~ Summer
1 Cockatiel ~ Slice
Fish & Snails & 2 Frogs
User avatar
alexis_906
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mar 28, 2007
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests