General Care Discussion :: do filter noises bother RESs?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:48 am   do filter noises bother RESs?

Now that I have ordered a new filter (aquaclear 110 for $35. Whoo hoo!), I saw a post somewhere, can't find, about how turtles like quite areas like ponds and still water. This filter goes over the back of the tank. Do you think that the noise of the waterfall will bother them? Thanks :)
User avatar
kikicool
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Aug 8, 2006
Location: Long Beach, NY

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:39 am   

I have a fluval 404 and the output hose is above the water level so there's a 'waterfall' of sorts on one end of the tank. It bothers me more than it bothers them. Mine like to play in it.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 am   

goodie :) I was hoping they'll play in it, too!
2 Mutts, Bella and Bocephus
2 RES, Herman and Lily (Munster)
User avatar
kikicool
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Aug 8, 2006
Location: Long Beach, NY

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:52 am   

If the noise/turbulence is too much for your turtle (or you), you can always silicone (aquarium silicone) a piece of plexi-glass to the lip of the filter to quiet things down.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:56 am   

Good idea. if I ever had any plans of ever using aquarium silicone again. grumble mumle....
2 Mutts, Bella and Bocephus
2 RES, Herman and Lily (Munster)
User avatar
kikicool
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Aug 8, 2006
Location: Long Beach, NY

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:02 pm   

You can do it kiki!! lol, i have a XP3, and my turtles play in the spry bar all the time....
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner


R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Nov 8, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:54 pm   

Some turts are bugged by noisy setups, some aren't...If you're turtle is showing anxiety or is constantly hiding out, calmer water may help.
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:08 pm   

Hm. This is no good...Lily ALREADY does this... I'll keep you posted.
2 Mutts, Bella and Bocephus
2 RES, Herman and Lily (Munster)
User avatar
kikicool
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Aug 8, 2006
Location: Long Beach, NY

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:09 pm   

Goose - do you think i need to angle my spray bar down a lil bit, because my turtles have been staying on the 1/2 of the tank away from the bar most often... I never thought of this... If you want pictures per the normal are always avaiable.
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner


R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Nov 8, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:27 pm   

I have a fluval 4plus and Leo enjoys getting stuck in the current of the water shooting out of the filter.... ??? at first I thought he would just get stuck in it and couldn't get out but the other day I found him sitting in front of the current relaxing, letting the current bounce off the back of his shell... I dunno maybe my turtle is weird?
Jennifer and Brandon

1 RES- Leo(na) (1 y/o)
1 dog- Boomer (5 y/o)
1 cat- Joey (2 y/o)
User avatar
JNZBCBnLIL
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Sep 29, 2006
Location: Memphis, TN

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:45 pm   

mine play in the little spash that the spray bar makes.. it's not much, just about a 1/2 little rise in the water, just for aggitation... I just think sometimes it's a lil much for them?? Maybe i'm overprotective
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner


R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Nov 8, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:37 pm   

Well, I can only go by my own experiences and observations. I have one turt, Gomez, who is very inquisitive and friendly, loves to check things out, both inside the tank and out. Then there's Big Daddy, who seems cool about everything, doesnt seem to care about much, unless it's food...friendly but mellow. And then there's good ol' Beaker, who would jump out of his shell at the slightest provocation! Always looks at me (and everything else in his world) with a sense of dread..Every day it's the same thing....I'll come up to the tank with pellets and as soon as he sees me it's "OH, NO! IT'S THE BIG HEAD! HIDE ME! HIDE ME!" and he scurries down into his coffee mug with his butt sticking out, and every day the Big Head has to stand there and wait until he calms down long enough to realize he's about to get some pellets, and when he does, it's all begging from that point on. Now I know turts can live for many years, but I don't think the Beakster is ever going to get it. :)
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:40 pm   

haha, goose that was comedy at it's finest... My shy one is now hiding behind the dock... I turned my spra bar down just little bit, so it dosent make such a splash noise, put a little cuttle bone in their, and i'll wait and see, for now i think they are pretty much eating plants when i'm not watching...
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner


R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Nov 8, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:46 pm   

Also, when Beaker begs, it's usually from underneath the basking ramp! I guess he figures the Big Head can't grab him and eat him.....
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:25 am   yes.

i would also have to agree with how they love to play in the waterfall. i have two RES and they always push each other out of the way for who can be under the waterfell the longest. it's way cute.
myeeyore174
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Nov 12, 2006

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 214 guests