General Care Discussion :: Turtle Eating Rubber on Tank Heater

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm   Turtle Eating Rubber on Tank Heater

Hello! So as the subject line reads, my RES, Marie, has taken to chewing on the rubber on her tank heater. She also has been nibbling her dock but she has done that for the past several years with no issues. I guess what I'm curious about is if this could mean she has some kind of nutritional deficiency or if this is just a sign of boredom? I've been throwing pretty decent sized chunks of cuttle bone in her tank to give her something else to gnaw on rather than the tank equipment, and she goes absolutely nuts on it. Is there anything else I should be taking into consideration other than boredom? I do believe she has a pretty well rounded diet. She gets fresh veggies, crickets, turtle pellets, shrimp/krill (as the occasional treat only!)...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
marie_09
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 18, 2009
Location: MN

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 am   Re: Turtle Eating Rubber on Tank Heater

I think it's a sign of boredom but many of them will just try to bite whatever they can. I had to switch to cork bark for a basking area because my turtle would aggressively bite the previous one which was made of resin.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:55 am   Re: Turtle Eating Rubber on Tank Heater

Thanks Steve for the reply! Do you have any suggestions for things I can put into her tank to keep her a little less bored that doesn't involve food? I was thinking dropping a ping pong ball or something in there but unsure of what would be appropriate to use.
marie_09
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 18, 2009
Location: MN

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:19 pm   Re: Turtle Eating Rubber on Tank Heater

How about a piece of cuttle bone or a something that makes bubbles.
User avatar
devilduck
 
Posts: 957
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am   Re: Turtle Eating Rubber on Tank Heater

I would try something with bubbles too.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 310 guests