General Care Discussion :: Just Shedding

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 pm   Just Shedding

Hello all. I peak in occassionally when I have time, but lately the job has not allowed for much of anything. I need some opinions though.

I was watching Angelina this afternoon (not something I've had a lot of time to do lately), and thought it looked like she might have some fungus on her shell. I took her out this evening, let her dry off under her light and snapped some pictures. I need opinions on if you think fungus or not. When she was wet, I thought yes forsure. Once she was dry I started thinking just in need of a good shed. I'll be interested to see what you all think. Keep in mind I have hard water, so some of what you see is hard water deposits.

Image

In this picture is the area I am most concerned about. The middle scute of the bottom row of scutes (not the edge) was the one I thought was fungus when she was in the water.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

If it is she just needs a good shed, any suggestions. She basks well. Her UVB bulb is about 2 months old. I can say I do not believe she eats her cuttle bone. How do you all feed cuttle bone to your turtles? I put her's on her basking rock. She usually shoves it in the water, and then it appears she never eats it. Anyway to get more calcium in her (isn't calcium supposed to help with shedding?) I probably need to get her some blueberries. They make such a mess in the tank though. Think I'll feed them to her outside the tank. What other foods are good for shedding?
1 RES: Angelina
1 Beta: Simon (really Simon #2 but my daughter doesn't know Simon #1 died)
1 Miniature Schnauzer: Sugar
Mom2RES
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:40 am   Re: Just Shedding

It looks like she's just in the process of shedding. If there is fungus, it's hard to see in those pics with shedding. I wouldn't worry about cuttlebone, my RES don't seem to care for it. Just make sure they get it in calcium rich foods like free/red leaf lettuce and a quality pellet. Wheat germ pellets (for koi) are also supposed to be good for shedding and is a good way to add a little variety.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 156 guests