General Care Discussion :: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 pm   My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

Just a vent - I hate going to the pet store, because inevitably I see something that ticks me off.
So, as usual I stop by to say Hi to the baby RES. Along comes an employee who tells me that someone dropped off two large RES for adoption. OK - sure, I'll take a look. Turns out they were Mississippi Maps, but that is besides the point. Anyway, the girl turtle was pretty darn pink - hindquarters, neck, arms, shell seams, etc. I tell the employee. She is sympathetic and tells me that if an animal is ill they will provide vet care. Hmmm...I tell her I will think about it. The turtles were on quarantine for 48 hours, so I couldn't take them home today anyway. The employee goes to the manager to confirm that the store will make sure they are healthy before sending them home. Mr. Manager tells me "too bad" if I take the turtles home they are "my problem." So I ask the rhetorical, why put them on quarantine if they aren't going to have them checked by a vet. The answer was , "because." So he tells me that if I don't take them someone else will, and its not up to the store to check their health.
Get this, he is telling me all of this while standing in the Kitty adoption pen with people checking out the cats - got a couple weird looks from other customers.
I wish I was a turtle rescue, but the hard reality is I'm not.
I had to turn and walk away. I guess Mr. Manager will push the pair on to some unsuspecting patron.
Time to write letter number four to the company.
Maybe this time I'll get a reply.
OK - vent done.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 pm   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

Well, hopefully if somebody else DOES take them, they'll get the care and environment that they need, since most people buying hatchlings because they're "cute" won't take home a giant turtle. I sort of wish Mr. Manager wasn't such a jerk - the perfect solution would be for the store to donate one of their gigantic tanks to the turtles and put them on display in the store. That way, people coming in to buy tiny turtles for their kids or making impulse buys might think twice. Of course, that would go against the pet store's goal of selling as much as they can. I'm surprised they even have RES in your pet store. It's illegal to sell hatchlings here, thank goodness. People still buy them on vacation (like I did), but there's not quite as big of an endemic of baby turtles dying or being released into the wild...to die.
adbritta
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Jan 8, 2013

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 pm   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

Or, maybe they'll end up giving them a check-up because nobody will buy a sick turtle, or maybe a rescue that has the space and resources to help will take them.
adbritta
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Jan 8, 2013

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 pm   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

They sell RES as long as they are larger than 4 inches.
The sick ones were about 7 inches. Some lady dropped them off, so the store had them in the back trying to get someone to adopt them. Basically, they are/were snagging the anyone who loitered around the baby RES tank.
It puzzles me why the store would even take them in.
The turtle rescues around here are pretty saturated, which is probably why their former owner dropped them off at the pet store.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 pm   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

Ah, I see. For some reason I didn't think about them selling RES that were 4" or bigger, since every time I've seen any for sale they're hatchlings. And yeah, I've never heard of a pet store being willing to accept animals from consumers, unless maybe the person had JUST bought the animal from them, and even then they're usually not willing to accept them. It's definitely sad, but I applaud you for being able to say, "No,". I would have had to as well since I definitely can't afford a whole new setup, especially not one big enough for two 7" turtles. I would've ended up crying to my fiance about it as soon as we got in the car, though, which is why my family frequently questions how on earth I can be in law, lol.
adbritta
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Jan 8, 2013

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 am   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

OH I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I can't go to Petsmart without wanting to punch an employee in the face, watched them sell a couple a 20 gallon kit and a ton of accessories for around 300$. Then overheard it was for a mature turtle!!

Also my local place had a "dropped off map" that was around 4-inches and it's shell was pure white and green, and when I mentioned it to the owner he said, it was just a little algae and it wasn't serious. UGH! Why do you take in a turtle if your not going to take care of it!
2 Res: Athena & Zelda
User avatar
CactusJohn5
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 am   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

hmmm...sounds like the same story.
I am so ready to start a "complaint log" and when I have enough objective, definitive examples ship them off to the powers that be.
The voice of many outweighs the opinion of one.
No. I won't start the brigade of gather complaints in this thread.
I'll check into what we need to describe to get the attention of these pet store chains.
Hey - if Turtle Talk made a difference with bunk compact lights, anything is possible...
More to follow...someday
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:47 am   Re: My Pet Store Complaint-of-the-Month

PS - I'll keep the name of this awesome site off the record...
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 185 guests