Urgent Care :: Opening mouth

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 pm   Opening mouth

I have had my baby RES's for about 2 months now. I change their water twice a week or more when needed. I have noticed lately that my one baby is opening his mouth under the water and stretching his neck. At first I thought he was yawning, but I just want to make sure. What does this mean, if anything.
court321
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 8, 2005

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:50 pm   

I'm not so sure but here's a suggestion. Change the water at least one every 2 days. How big is the tank. (Is in the the tiny 1/4 kritter keeper they come with). :(
32 Fish
2 RES
2 Algae Eaters
Winvin8
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 21, 2005

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:45 am   

I'm fairly new here so I'm really don't know, but my guess is that he could have RI. I would be sure to watch him.
Last edited by TexasJagsFan on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
TexasJagsFan
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Jun 19, 2005
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:56 am   

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. Are there any other symptoms like swimming lopsided/bubbles from nose and mouth/puffy eyes? Does he seem lazy and disinterested in food? If he has any of those symptoms then you're looking at a vet visit. If not, don't worry too much.

My turtles yawn on occasion and they're fine. Keep an eye on him for any other odd behaviour before you start to worry.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:02 pm   

Just to be sure--how often does he do this? What is the temp of the water?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:31 pm   

I have a 10 gallon tank for now, and no he is swimming fine and very interested in feeding time. The water temp is aroud 74 degrees and I monitor it often. In the past few days I have not seen him open his mouth. So I am hoping it was just a yawn. But I am keeping an eye on both of them!
court321
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 8, 2005

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:22 pm   

Babies are sensitive to warmth--I'd increase the temp of the water to 78F and have the basking area at 90F.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests