Urgent Care :: The Shell

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:48 pm   The Shell

Image


That's a pic i just took of my turt. I noticed that the shell had had some gray and black... I thought it could possibly be shell rot? Is my turtles shell normal?
PEBBLES: Given away, assumed current mood of pebbles in his new huge pond home: Happy.
Currently learning to "ride to waves"

I wish i had a turtle. Hm. I love turtles.
CV Cream
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Aug 9, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:18 pm   

??
Last edited by CV Cream on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEBBLES: Given away, assumed current mood of pebbles in his new huge pond home: Happy.
Currently learning to "ride to waves"

I wish i had a turtle. Hm. I love turtles.
CV Cream
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Aug 9, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:18 pm   

wow, thanks for the input guys...
PEBBLES: Given away, assumed current mood of pebbles in his new huge pond home: Happy.
Currently learning to "ride to waves"

I wish i had a turtle. Hm. I love turtles.
CV Cream
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Aug 9, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 pm   

sorry i dont know much about shell rot, im a rookie in RES ]=

if i did i would answer back.
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:34 pm   

I don't see the spots that you are talking about. It would be best if the picture was of the shell when it's dry.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:23 pm   

I'm an amateur too but I don't see the shell problem you're asking about. Your turtle's shell looks better than mine. Maybe a picture of the dry shell would help.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:44 pm   

If you are referring to the grayish black outlines around each scute, I beleive it is just normal growth. If you are referring to something else on your turtles' shell, well then, I don't see what you are talking about. Are any of the edges of the scutes loose?
RES, Nicaraguan slider, Chinese Golden Thread, Northern DBT, Eastern Painted, Gibba turtle, Leopard tortoise, 3 Central American Woods, 2 Home's Hingeback tortoises, False Map, Northern Map, 2 Pink bellies, Reeves
User avatar
lotsofpets
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sep 5, 2006
Location: Lexington, KY

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:42 pm   

I think he/she is referring to those marks. They do look a bit large in proportion to the scutes and I would say that the turtle is being fed too much. The keeper should re-check what is being fed and by whom.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:05 pm   

The whitish/greyish line in between the scutes is the seam, which is where the shell grows. It turns a lighter color (especially in the water) when the turtle is growing. This is particularly true of hatchlings when they undergo a growth spurt.

How big is your turtle? What are you feeding him, how much and how often? The shell looks ok to me.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests