Urgent Care :: Shedding skin

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 pm   Shedding skin

My turtle is shedding skin on his neck, is this okay?
PEBBLES: Given away, assumed current mood of pebbles in his new huge pond home: Happy.
Currently learning to "ride to waves"

I wish i had a turtle. Hm. I love turtles.
CV Cream
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Aug 9, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 pm   

Turtles do shed skin as they grow, but you shouldn't see a lot of it and it shouldn't be prolonged. Is it wispy and translucent and really visible in the water but not really out of it? If so, this sounds normal.

If he' really shedding (like a snake, for example) and if he seems to be doing it for a long time or often, it could be from overfeeding. How much do you feed him, what do you feed him and how often do you feed him? Temps that are too high are another factor that could contribute to frequent and/or lengthy shedding.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:25 pm   

Yea, it's kinda of a white wrinkley oval spot on the back of the neck, well i can see it out of the water. I just noticed it today, i had the temp at 82, but i put it back to 79. And i feed 5 a day...
PEBBLES: Given away, assumed current mood of pebbles in his new huge pond home: Happy.
Currently learning to "ride to waves"

I wish i had a turtle. Hm. I love turtles.
CV Cream
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Aug 9, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:26 pm   

It's kinda translucent
PEBBLES: Given away, assumed current mood of pebbles in his new huge pond home: Happy.
Currently learning to "ride to waves"

I wish i had a turtle. Hm. I love turtles.
CV Cream
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Aug 9, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 pm   

5 a day what? Pellets? Only feed as much as would fit into his head if it was hollow. Keep your water temps at 78 degrees.
amazingcc
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jul 17, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:22 pm   

hello
Even my turtles are shedding skin on their neck,the skin has been hanging their for 5-6 days now,
I feed them pellets once a day and Blood worms twice a day.

Hope im doing it right !
aatifsk
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Karachi,Pakistan

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:24 pm   

aatifsk wrote:hello
Even my turtles are shedding skin on their neck,the skin has been hanging their for 5-6 days now,
I feed them pellets once a day and Blood worms twice a day.

Hope im doing it right !


Try doing some reading on basic feeding and nutrition. Pellets should be offered the amount that would fit in the head if it were hollow, once a day. Veggies should also be offered.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:15 pm   Mine is too

My RES is shedding, too. I was worried but I guess it's normal? It is hanging off his arms, and this back feet look like their about to, too. They are covered in translucent white fuzz. Is this normal?
[/img]
User avatar
tinkersumx
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Carlsbad, Ca

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:06 am   

If it is just normal shedding it shouldn't be a problem. If he doesn't stop shedding, then you need to think about such things as a possible fungus, or water temps being too high.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:01 am   

If your res is shedding it might be that you are overfeeding it or there is too much chlorine in your water. I also have this problem before then when I treated my tap water the shedding stops.
iltier
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Jun 5, 2006


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests