Page 1 of 1

baby turtles very ill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:17 pm
by ilovemybabyturts
Hi

Both of my baby turtles are very ill, I think they may have a respiratory infection.

I have booked them in to see a vet on monday and the cost of this is 43 british pounds (i am from the UK!) just for the cost of a consultation. I think thats about 79 dollars!

I just wanted to know if anybody has any idea how much treatment costs as I will be paying this on top. I just want a rough idea to be honest.

Does anyone know how much the charge is for say anti-biotics or any other treatment a vet may use to treat a respiratory infection.

I don't mind if you tell me in dollars!

Any replies would be much appreciated

Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:27 pm
by missibsu
Best thing you can do is call the vet back and ask. It would depend on the meds that the vet prescribes and the cost that they charge...each vet can be different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:42 pm
by ilovemybabyturts
yea i suppose. Well one vet told me the medication shouldnt be more than what the consultation is.

I suppose i'll just have to wait and see, i'll pay anything to get my babies back in good health, it's horrible seeing them ill.

I just wanted to know really if anyone has taken theirs to the vets and what it has cost them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:47 pm
by steve
I think the shots will only be around $10-20 US, it might be cheaper if you are to administer it yourself. The most common antibiotic used to treat RI is Baytril, you can ask him how much it would cost and you can use that as a base for figuring out the total costs. They usually don't charge for administering the shot, though you'd want to let them know that you're on a budget and would want to figure out the fees beforehand.