Page 1 of 1

Almost Drowned...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:31 am
by the_orphaned
My turt got sucked in by the filter pump. I dont know for how long but he was still alive when I got to him. I immediately put him on his basking rock and turned on the lamp. He's just basking now.

He's breathing better now but still a bit lethargic. He's a bit more attentive now. Maybe due to the stress?

Anyway, here is how he looks after the incident:

Image

Image

Image

What can I do to help him get better? Should I just wait and see what happens next? Does making him bask a good idea? He hasn't left his rock yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:31 am
by kayla_2305
well i really dont know for sure but i would make sure that he cant get stuck behind the filter again, that is how my turtle,Squirt, died :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:55 am
by sonyj
What type of filter do you have and what size of tank/enclosure is it rated for? It may be too powerful of a filter to use in such a small enclosure. Even a young turtle should be strong enough to swim away from the intake of the filter if it is the correct size for the tank, if the turtle is healthy to begin with. I'd change either the filter itself or the set-up so he can't get near the intake.

Keep an eye on him today and see if he begins to act normal again. You may want to increase the water temp to 81-82F to help boost his immune system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:26 am
by the_orphaned
The temperature is always like that. Due to the plastic's effect plus the humidity here in the Philippines. He's acting normally now. Chasing after bubbles...

I cut up some plastic cups and made an invisble fence around the intake. There is a huge cutout on the cup for the water but not big enough for the turtle.

And by the way, I think this incident taught him to actually float and swim because before this, all he ever does is scuttle along the container floor and stand on his hind legs (in the water of course). Now, he actually swims... weird turtle...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:52 pm
by sonyj
:lol: Well, it's good to hear he's doing fine. They are unique and funny creatures. You'll find out that each one has their own personality and they are quite rewarding to raise. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:43 pm
by JuelisKaylee
Good to hear your turtle is doing well The Orphaned...I'm also with you on the temperature, as I live in the Virgin Islands. But other than that My one turtle loves to scoot up under the filter...I dont kow if they liekt he vibration or what, but the other night my husband just said "Whats wrong with the filter it's moving" when i looked Kobe was way under neath of it. When we had them in the smaller tank he used to sit right under the water fall from the filter or snugg up right next to the filter. I'm afraid that he migh not be aware that he is growing and can not fit in the tight spaces still.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:44 am
by the_orphaned
I think he has learned his lesson, I removed the pastic cup and he doesn't go near the filter anymore, except when he's chasing his food. But I know what you mean JuelisKaylee, mine also tries to stay under where the water falls. I think its the water movement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:36 pm
by SpotsMama
My turtle Spot has always wanted to squeeze into the tightest possible place. He would sleep between the turtle dock and the wall of his aquarium - wedged in as tight as he could get it. Well, one day I heard a "clunk" and saw with horror that Spot had gotten his head stuck in the bottom of a plaster toy we had on the bottom of his tank. He loved that toy - thought it was a girl turtle - and was always fooling around with it. He nearly drowned that day. My husband and I working together finally got him loose. We threw the toy out and will never put anything in his tank again with a hole in it that he can get stuck in.

By the way, he immediately turned his amorous attentions to a stone in a corner of the tank. How fickle!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:52 am
by JuelisKaylee
LOL. That is too funny (your list line, SpotsMama). I was initoally worried that our turtles might be lonley so we got two. But i guess spot showed me that they can be creative to quench their loneliness. :-) I will have to take out his favorite rock formation as it provides a tight fit and would not like to relive your experience SpotsMama. I just left it in there as a familiar area since we just moved them into a new tank this past saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:48 am
by MariGabie
LoL. My Napi-po tries the same exact thing. He'll wedge himself between his island and the tank wall. To be honest he still scares me. I'll wake up at night hearing him wedge himself only to freak out because i think he'd drowning! He also use to get under the filter and rub his shell. Weird huh?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:39 pm
by JuelisKaylee
Well I guess they know what they're doing... and we don't. :-)