Page 1 of 1

Strange disk under right back leg

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:16 pm
by John LoManto
I just noticed a boney disc under the right, back leg of my female RES. I'm not positive how long it's been there, but I was taking some photos of her walking around my house last week, and just noticed, upon zooming in, that it was there then too.

It looks like a piece of cartilidge. At its largest it seems to be the size of a quarter, it is white, and slightly concave. It protrudes out beside the leg, but then goes back in the body with the leg when I try to pick her up. She doesn't seem to be in any pain b/c when I touch her foot, she's fine. It's possibly coming out a slit in the body, the area is slighly red.

She's swimming/eating/acting totally normally. She is also slightly over weight at the moment. Below is some other standard info about Igor.
javascript:emoticon(':cry:')


How big is your turtle? 7 inches
How long have you had it? 4 years

What is the water temperature? 80
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? 40 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? yes
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
Is there a UVB light? No (he keeps breaking them)

What have you been trying to feed it? Pellets, fish and veggies
When was the last time your turtle ate? today

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 60 gallons
Is the tank near a window? yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? yes

Have you read the Basic Care section? yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No, seems like his happy self!
:cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:20 pm
by Andrew7769
i see the [img]s but no pics

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:11 pm
by John LoManto
I wasn't able to post pics (b/c they have to be located on a server, which I can't do from home), but can email you some directly if that would help.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:13 pm
by sonyj
Try posting the pics on photobucket or imageshack and linking from there.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:17 pm
by John LoManto
Ok, let's see if this works, not sure if this will insert the image, if not, go to the url below.

Image

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/ ... ordisc.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:59 pm
by steve
I've never seen anything like that before. It almost looks like an egg, but it would not be out there. There are also no bones like that that I am familiar with in that area.

I really think a vet should look at that, maybe even Xray it to determine what it could be.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:01 pm
by missibsu
This may be a long shot, but I have heard that abcesses can form other places than the head. Is that a possibility? I think the vet would be a good thing as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:54 am
by jenaero
Go check all your equipment to see if all the suction cups are still on. It looks like a suction cup somehow got lodged in between the folds of skin. Have you touched it or slightly tugged on it at all?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:55 am
by John LoManto
well as stupid as i feel it was all just a suction cup weged very deep in the fold of skin that her leg goes into. I think the part that threw me off was that it matched her skin color. Thank you very very much for all your help guys and im happy Igor is doing well. Good call Janero.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:17 am
by missibsu
Will you be offended if I laugh? I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious. Kinda scary to think what it might have been if it was on the inside. Yea for a healthy turtle!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:22 am
by jenaero
Hey, that's what we're here for.

No applause, just throw money :-P

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:16 pm
by steve
A white, oval shaped suction cup... I would not have guessed that. Glad everything is good ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:01 pm
by marisa
Wow. Glad it wasn't anything serious. (That suction cup must be pretty strong to stick like that.) :) (Good thinking, Jenaero.) :)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:46 pm
by TinySlider2
Jenaero that was a great call. I still can't believe it was a suction cup. I keep looking at the picture trying to figure out what it was. I had even though it was a blister of some kind. LOL! Glad your turtle is okay!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:25 pm
by sonyj
I'm still sitting here shaking my head! I would have never thought of it being a suction cup. lol Glad everything's okay. :)