Page 1 of 1

Too many rocks?/ RI?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 pm
by BONBONS
I have had my RES for 5 years. Very healthly normal/ all living conditions have been the same.

He stopped eating around May 18th. I used a product called turtle clean by nutrafin. www.hagen.com around the 16th or 17th. The company assures me that this product is completely safe for turtles. I do believe he many of eaten to many rocks.

I cleaned his tank on Monday the 22nd, still no eating. I have noticed that he has been pooping quite a few rocks. Yesterday(26th) pooped about 6 normal fish tank rock in one movement:( I thought ok, this has to be the problem.)

This morning I went to check on him and he had his mouth open and there was a bunch of waste in front of him which I assume was some kind of throw up. I cleaned the tank again. I then placed one pellet broke in to three peices in his tank. I couldn't believe he finally ate!!

He now keeps throwing up every time he eats. I have been feeding him a very small amout to see if he can keep it down. The last several hours he has now been laying at the bottom of his tank with his eyes closed. It appers his eyes are really bothering him now as well. The only good thing I can say is it still appers he got his appetite back....if he could only keep it down.

I just looked again....pooped another rock. Can a vet really help if he ate to many rocks???Any suggestions.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:37 pm
by NewTurtleMommy
This may be a dumb question, but you did take the rocks out of the tank right?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:14 am
by missibsu
Be sure to remove the ones that he is pooping, as well as the ones that were already in there. A vet can do surgery to remove the rocks, but if he is passing them, then I'd be tempted to hold off on that route. (My opinion, a vet might suggest otherwise)

I'd be concerned about the throwing up, although I suppose it could be side effect still from the rock impaction.

Do the eyes appear red or swollen? Is he itching them? I believe the recommended product for that is cod liver oil, but do a search on the site just to be sure. There are many posts on irritated and swollen eyes.

Welcome to the site, and keep us updated!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:42 am
by steve
I'm not ready to believe it is impaction either since your turtle is passing the stones. Is he vomiting or eating his own waste? There are other serious issues here that would warrant a vet visit. A vet could do an Xray to determine if there are obstructions and can run other tests.

Can you answer some of the questions listed here: http://redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2142

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:52 pm
by marisa
How is the turtle doing?