Page 1 of 1
Broken Claw.

Posted:
Sun May 07, 2006 5:12 pm
by zuse
My baby turtle's claw broke off. It didn't just break... it looked like it came out all the way to the root of the socket of the nail or whatever. Since its claw is about the size of the tip of a pin now, should I be concerned? Does this mean it isn't going to grow back? I don't know what happened. It's the more active one, so maybe it hit it against something. :-\

Posted:
Sun May 07, 2006 11:22 pm
by missibsu
Keep an eye on it. If it looks like it might be getting infected, or bothering him at all, then I would act on it. Is it bleeding at all?

Posted:
Sun May 07, 2006 11:25 pm
by zuse
No.

Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 12:31 am
by steve
Were you able to find the broken piece? Maybe there was a fight or it got stuck on something?

Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 am
by zuse
The piece was just sort of hanging... I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't noticed the little claw kind of pointing the other way (it just looked like a speck). I then counted claws and saw one missing. It doesn't seem bothered, though. I think the little piece fell on the floor somewhere after I removed it, so oh well.

Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 7:13 pm
by marisa
If the nail bed hasn't been damaged, the nail should grow back in time.

Posted:
Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 am
by industrial_girl_2000
Just make sure to keep your turtle's habitat very clean to help reduce the chance of infection. I have had turtles with broken claws in the past and they always grow back (it takes time). BUT keep an eye on it for any (bad) changes in the way it looks.

Posted:
Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:11 pm
by zuse
Yay. The claw is growing back. Soon it will be the length of the others, I think.


Posted:
Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:27 pm
by turtles4myboys
i just received a baby RES and it has a broken/injuried claw. it is whitish around the injury and it appears to be inflamed. is there anyway i can treat this at home or should i bring it to a vet?

Posted:
Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:29 pm
by cprcheetah
If it is whitish and inflammed, best choice is to take it to the vet. They can get septicemia easily if infections aren't treated properly. Home remedy to try would be to clean the area thoroughly and put neosporin on it. Leaving the turtle out of the water long enough for it to soak in.