Page 1 of 2

Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:44 am
by Nighthawk11
:cry: I'm really sad. I'm not sure what happened. He was eating fine yesterday and he was playing with a ping pong ball and hes very shy and runs off the basking dock when he sees people so i'm not sure if he was basking or not.

About a week ago i noticed he was at the bottom of the tank, with his eyes closed and thought it was weird that he would sleep during the day, i knocked on the glass and woke him up. I thought maybe because the UVB light went out and it took me about a day and a half to replace it, that his sleeping times might be off.

This morning he was under his favorite rock, I put my hands above him and he didn't come to me like he usually does. I picked up the rock and he didn't move. Finally, I picked him up, eyes closed, limbs and head completely limp. I guess he died sometime last night or this morning. Anyone have any idea what could have happened??? I did notice that the other turtle was growing so much faster than him and when I got her (Destiny) she was smaller than him. I was making sure that they were both getting enough food because of this.

We bought Nighthawk at a baseball game and he was not in the best condition, but I thought with proper care, nutrition and lighting he would be ok.
Any thoughts? :cry:

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm
by devilduck
Sorry for your loss.

I would be very hard to say why he died so suddenly. Could have been some aggressive illness.

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm
by steve
Not sure what could have happened, I'm sorry for your loss. They are good at hiding their illnesses :(

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 pm
by Nighthawk11
Thanks, I just can't believe he was sick :( ... I guess the lesson learned is if they exhibit any type of weird behavior it shouldn't be taken so lightly. I wish I would have isolated him and made sure he was really warm, I read this stuff later... but his eyes weren't swollen, he had no skin or shell conditions and he was still eating.
:( hopefully it's not contagious and the other turtle will be fine.

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am
by Listen97
You might want to do a full water change and clean anything in the tank to be sure. You can take the water to most pet stores to test or even some vets so see if there is a parasite in it. Sorry for your loss.

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 pm
by Nighthawk11
I did a full water change.. Now one of the goldfish in the tank had some brown spots. I looked it up and it looks like ammonia burn. I changed a big portion of the water and used filtered water. I also got a PH testing kit form the petstore and it seems to be too basic.. higher than 7.8 (according to the test I bought). How can I get this to a normal 7... is that even possible?!? Any help.. I took the affected Goldfish out and separated him (the other one seems to be fine). He's acting fine and the spots seem to have gone away. I'm so lost!! any help?!!

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:01 am
by Moose
I'm so sorry for your loss :((( sounds like you did everything right sweetie, sometimes hatchlings can die for no apparent reason :'( they're so fragile as far as immune system and everything goes. Don't beat yourself up over it, you sound like you did a great job!

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 am
by Nighthawk11
Image

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 pm
by steve
RIP :(

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 pm
by TurtleMomma64
So sorry for your loss :( I can't imagine losing our little girl. Praying your other turtle stays safe. I think you should be proud you did your best and no one could have asked you to do more.

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:25 pm
by Moose
A beautiful burial RIP :(

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm
by Nighthawk11
Thanks everyone... an update on Destiny (our other turtle) She's doing just fine! Very active and curious about everything!

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm
by steve
Glad to hear it!

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 pm
by natalia
I just read this...I am very sorry. And like turtlemomma said, i cant imagine losing my baby RES.
Good thing Destiny is doing just fine. Let's hope she continues like that, and nothing bad happens.

Re: Nighthawk died this morning... :'( ...???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm
by deadmanwalking
Just bumping the thread to say that I am so sorry for your loss... I know what it's like losing a pet and it's not fun at all! But just know you done everything right.

I am glad to hear that all of the other animals in the tank (including your other turtle) are doing good, though!

RIP Nighthawk. :(