Page 1 of 1

Brown Spots on Plastron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 am
by RESlove
Please help me out!

I'm a new turtle owner and I own 3 red eared sliders who are now 3 months old.

I noticed they have developed brown spots on their bellies and I'm not really sure what it is. They have regular exposure to sunlight (but not a basking UV lamp) in a pond and are fed pellets 3 times a day. There is no change in their behavior or eating patterns.

Any help as to what this could be would be really appreciated as I have no exposure to a Herp Vet.

Is this because they do not have exposure to UV Rays? I bought a lamp today which I will now use so...Should I be worried?

Here are pictures of their bellies:

Image

Image

Image

Please help me! :cry:

Re: Brown Spots on Plastron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 am
by steve
That's normal. The green fades away and they'll develop dark brown splotches in their place.

Re: Brown Spots on Plastron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 am
by RESlove
steve wrote:That's normal. The green fades away and they'll develop dark brown splotches in their place.


Oh wow! Thank you so much! I've been freaking out about it.
Thank you again! :)

Re: Brown Spots on Plastron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 am
by EmmaFace
RESlove wrote:fed pellets 3 times a day.


Isn't that too much? They should only be fed once a day, I believe. (I'm a new owner too, but everything I've read says once a day is the max)

Re: Brown Spots on Plastron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
EmmaFace wrote:
RESlove wrote:fed pellets 3 times a day.


Isn't that too much? They should only be fed once a day, I believe. (I'm a new owner too, but everything I've read says once a day is the max)


Yes it is much, once a day.

Re: Brown Spots on Plastron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:50 pm
by RESlove
alright! will do. i'll feed them once a day.