Page 1 of 1

My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 am
by neraky71
Hi all,

Urgent help needed!!! My turtle, Parker, used to be very hungry around food at all times but now he shows no interest and no aggression for food. Before he would even try to open his mouth when I showed him the sticks through the tank glass. I only fed him every other day with reptomin sticks, carrots or turtle shot jello. I went away for 2 weeks and I had to set up an automatic feeder to feed my turtles (4 in total). The timer on the machine can only be set for how many feedings per day, so I'd set up once daily with reptomin sticks. Now after I've come back from vacation, my Parker won't eat anything at all, and he wasn't like before where he sometimes would be biting my finger when I gave him food. He would only eat the shrimps but barely. My suspicion was the other 2 turtles who are more aggressive towards food might have eaten all his food when I was away, so he got used to it. I now have separated those turtles into another tank just to be safe. But Parker still won't eat any much for these 2 weeks. I have thought about the temperature was one reason, but I have put in the heater now since I came back but he still won't eat. What do you think has happened to my Parker? I'm really worried. Everything else seems ok about him, he still goes up to the rock to bask every day. He just won't eat anything other than munching on the calcium piece time to time and the shrimp.

P.S. recently I have moved Parker and my other turtle to a bigger tank, but it has been a week, and he didn't eat even before the move.

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 am
by Linus
Have you seen bubbles coming from his nose when he basks? When he swims or floats in the water, does he lean to one side?

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:33 pm
by neraky71
Definitely no bubbles coming out of his nose when he basks, and he swims fine, what else could it be? He's moving around, just not eating.

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 am
by steve
Check for any injuries or sensitive areas. What's the water temperatures like?

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:10 pm
by Silvermist464
Hey, I agree with you, neraky. My turtle's been acting the same way. He hasn't eaten for almost 2 months now. I've done everything to make him eat but I haven't had any luck...

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 pm
by Linus
2 months! Bring him/her to the vet!

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:43 am
by neraky71
No visible injuries or anything of that sort. I have come to the conclusion that Parker has become picky of what he eats. But I don't understand why the food he used to love before, he no longer wants to eat at all after I've been away for 2 weeks?!

Re: My turtle now not eating after I come back from vacation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:44 am
by neraky71
He would only eat tuna fish or the shrimp