Urgent Care :: Respiratory Infection Question

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:46 pm   Respiratory Infection Question

My 2 year old RES has a severe respiratory infection. I was keeping a close eye on her and trying to give her oral Baytril (she continually threw it up). A few days ago, I found her floating upside down and nearly dead. I rushed her to the vet and they kept her for a couple days in a kennel with a basking light and an extremely shallow pan of water, which she ignored. I have her home now and she is doing better, but I'm still not sure if I'm caring for her properly. The vet hasn't been much help, except to inject her with antibiotics, and I'm finding conflicting information regarding if I should return her to her tank. I did place her in her tank when I got home (at the recommendation of the vet) and she immediately began to gasp and panic... taking on more water. I quickly removed her from the tank and created a new space for her in a large box. I have her basking light above her and a wet towel beneath her. Additionally, I place 1 1/2 cups of water in a disposable paint tray and put a little dried shrimp in the water (she has seems almost afraid of the water and is avoiding it). I'm hearing very little water sounds when she breathes and she is breathing with her mouth closed. Although, she is still having difficulty breathing... extending her neck, making a gulping motion and then exhaling quickly through her nose. I'm worried about the length of time that she's been out of the water, but I cannot put her back into her tank; I'm terrified that she will drown. When I originally suspected that she was sick, I noticed that she hadn't been eating. I gave her every option of food that you can imagine and even juiced up some kale for her. I used a syringe to inject the kale juice into her mouth and she spit that up too. I know she's not eaten in a week and I just don't know what more to do. I'm afraid to give her juice again, because I don't want to put more fluid into her lungs (if that is even possible). Please help me. My vet is a good vet and has only charged me $100 total for her exam, 2 day stay, shots and tomorrow I'm taking her back for another shot (every 3 days he wants me to come back until she is better). My primary question is how to care for her RIGHT NOW.... should she be in water? If so, how can I keep her from panicking and drowning?
Empress Liu Liu
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:52 pm   Re: Respiratory Infection Question

I would dry dock her with periodic soaks to rehydrate. Dry dock like you've been doing, just make sure she can get out of the basking light if she needs to cool down. Put her in a plastic bowl with warm water that just goes to the middle of her shell twice a day for a half hour each time. Since she hasn't been eating or probably drinking, you should use a solution of half water, half pedialite to soak her in. Don't worry about her not eating right now, turtles can go awhile without food. They need to stay hydrated though. Sometimes the antibiotic makes them not want to eat as well. Please give us an update after her vet visit.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm   Re: Respiratory Infection Question

Is she getting injections or the oral baytril now? How is she doing?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 pm   Re: Respiratory Infection Question

Forgive me for not getting back sooner.... life has a way of getting in the way. I just don't know what to do anymore and I feel as though my turtle, Rush, is suffering and it's tearing me apart. The vet has done little more than to give her antibiotic injections every three days. I've lost track of how long it's been since she last ate. I will be completely honest here... I cannot afford the treatment that my vet is recommending (a full blood panel and continued injections), so a friend of mine provided me with Baytril and syringes. She also gave me "Veterinary 0.9% Sodium Chloride" to inject her with. I've done the Baytril injection (0.1 ml, I believe), but I'm hesitant to give her the Sodium Chloride... is it appropriate for rehydration??? After keeping her dry-docked for a week, or so, she seemed to be improving in many ways... very little gasping motions and healthy wide eyes. But she also is very listless, dare I say depressed? I decided to place her back into her tank, hoping it would cheer her (I know I sound crazy, but I'm really clueless as to what else to try). There are only 2.5 gallons of purified water in the tank, complete with a large rock to bask on. At first, she seemed happier, but the gasping returned and now she is just listless. And her right eye has progressed to being completely closed after only one day. Additionally, I have been placing drops (Gentamicin Sulfate 0.3%) in her eyes twice a day, since yesterday. I'm at the point of wondering if I should have her put down. I fear that through my ignorance as to how to care for her, as well as financial inability to do so, that I am causing her to suffer. I don't know what to do and I would appreciate any help.

Sincerely,
Stephanie
Attachments
Resampled_2011-10-13_15-40-41_985-1.jpg
I've attached this picture to show how truly listless she is right now.
Empress Liu Liu
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:02 pm   Re: Respiratory Infection Question

Let your vet know of what you can reasonably afford. I would also try to contact a local rescue or herp org and maybe they can offer you a second opinion. Have you tried cod liver oil on the eyes? I'm not sure what the sodium chloride could do... from wikipedia "is used in veterinary medicine as emesis causing agent. It is given as warm saturated solution. Emesis can also be caused by pharyngeal placement of small amount of plain salt or salt crystals" Emisis is a medical term for vomiting. If your friend qualified and knowledgable with Baytril?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 178 guests