Page 1 of 2

Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:36 pm
by Schimpf
How big is your turtle?
Just over 3"

How long have you had it?
About 4 weeks.

What is the water temperature?
80F

Did you use a thermometer?
Yes a digital one.

Are you using a water heater?
Yes

How much water is in there?
20 gallons give or take.

Are you using a water conditioner?
Yes

Are you using any filtration?
Yes, HOB filter for a 40 gallon tank.

What is the basking temperature?
86-90F 86 when first turned on and 90 once it gets warmed up.

Is there a basking light?
Yes

Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
Yes

What kind is it or what is it made out of?
The platform? Here is a photo its rock.
Image

Its about 6-8" from the rock to the light.

Is there a UVB light?
Yes.

What have you been trying to feed it?
Pellets (zoo med buying new ones tonight), trout pellets (breeder gave me them), carrots, danios (that was an oops), red and green leaf lettuce, kale, fake crab (breeder suggest have not given in 2-3 weeks after finding this site)

When was the last time your turtle ate?
About 30 mins ago, he is eating just fine and begging for food when I walk by.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
33 gallons, 18" tall, 36" long and 12" wide

Is the tank near a window?
No the window is on the other side of the room (aka across from the tank)

Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?
Its our living room so yes.

Have you read the Basic Care section?
Yes

Have you searched the forums for similar situations?
Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?
None, I noticed his eye (photo below) and called the vet, we have an appointment for Wed. Thats the earliest I can get in, there aren't too many vets that see turtles in Edmonton. sigh.

Image
You can see that its a little swollen and a little red. Not goopie, same with nose. Just looks irritated.
Thoughts?

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:22 pm
by austinl01
I wonder why everyone is having eye issues lately??? :(

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm
by steve
Did you put in a new UVB bulb? Do a recent water change?

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:33 pm
by Schimpf
I'll pick up a new one, those the one we have is only 4 weeks old.

Water change was 4 days ago but I'll do another one today.

I have some cod-liver oil, should I try it?

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:59 pm
by Kurtni
^The UVB bulb probably isn't the problem then. When you first put in a UVB bulb, the output can be a little too strong, but if it's four weeks old now that's likely not the problem. When you do switch to a new bulb, you can put it in a lamp and point it at a wall or something for a few days before you put it over their tank.

Good luck, hopefully the vet can help you!

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:16 pm
by Love of Animals
You can try cod liver oil. Just one drop in each eye once a day for 3 days. Too much vitamin A can cause the same symptoms as not enough vitamin A. How often does he eat carrots? Is there any other symptoms like yawning excessively, gasping for air, croaking or lethargy?

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:39 pm
by Schimpf
Kurtni, thanks for those tips, I never know that.

L.O.A.: He just started carrots a few days ago. Since then he has had about 4 0.5cm pieces a day.
Is there any other symptoms like yawning excessively, gasping for air, croaking or lethargy?
No none of them thats why I don't know whats wrong. I thought maybe an infection, hence the vet trip, but there is no other symptoms.
I read that you can put cod liver oil on a q-tip and gently rub that on his eye. should I do that or just drop on drop in?

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I hope its something simple and not an infection.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 pm
by Love of Animals
Just drop it in. There are many things that could cause the eye to be irritated. Good thing you have an appointment scheduled. If he's eating carrots every day then he probably doesn't have a vitamin A deficiency. While you're waiting to go to the vet it couldn't hurt to try it. Maybe it will be soothing.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:47 am
by steve
If anything, keep the light off or further away. You can also use Zoo Med Turtle Eye Drops in case this is not a deficiency.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:50 am
by Schimpf
Thanks. Like I said he just started with the carrots a few days ago. *face smack*
The breeder told me NOT to feed them to him but never gave a reason why.

I got an email from him last night and he said to just change his water and give him a basking light.
Which I do anyway. But this is also the same person who told me to feed him trout pellets daily.
So I don't think he knows whats what, imo.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:20 pm
by steve
It's good he has an appetite and is eating. I would try the eye drops before the vet appointment.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:29 am
by Schimpf
Well over the weekend his eye seems to bee looking better, we're still going to go anyway just in case.
I booked it as a non emergency which takes that bill from $90+ to $67+ much better IMO.

I got a new camera over the weekend, well its my aunts old one, but much better than mine, once I
get awake (only 7:30am here) I'll take some photos to compare it to, it might look better or it might
be that I just think it does.

EDIT:
Forgot to add, I did start using a different water conditioner.
We went from a fish one to the zoo med one.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:15 pm
by Schimpf
Here is a quick photo from today:

Image

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 am
by steve
I'd stop using a water conditioner and switch to carbon media. Hopefully it was just some minor irritation that's almost healed. If the vet suggests a vitamin shot, I would decline it.

Re: Eye Issues, Vet appointment booked.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am
by Schimpf
Thanks for the info Steve.