Page 1 of 2
cold water....power outage

Posted:
Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:23 pm
by ytse411
Hi all...not super urgent, but I am looking for some reassurance!
Lost power due to stupid Irene and sylvias water temp has dropped 10 degrees. It always been at 82 degrees
Forever, and dropped to 75 today, which I thought was ok.
Now its down to 72 and overnight temp may drop another 10 degrees easy. I'm hoping to have power
Restored by tomorrow, and outside temps should reach 80, so she'll be fine during the day.
For overnight though.....ugh. I have her in the tub for a little while at a temp about 80 or so? I plan
To fill up the tank to 82, to ease her back into that temp....and hopefully it'll stay warmish for at least
A few hours.
Its a 150 gal tank, just over half full. She'll be ok, right? Even if the temps drop again?
Sorry for the bad struture.I'm on my phone's internets. Thanks!!
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 am
by MommyShanna
I'm no expert, but I think she should be OK. From my understanding, it's rapid temp changes that bother them. I've had power outages that have dropped the temp on my turtles several times, and we've just had to ride it out. The lower temp may lower get appetite, but as long as power will be back before she's starving, I think it'll be fine. I have an all electric home, so when power is out, I have no way to raise the tank temp...
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm
by awkward_turtle
82 seems a bit on the warm side though, does she bask often?
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:34 pm
by VeipaCray
You could always dry dock your turtle then put her in the tub with 76-78 degree water a few times a day to eat / defecate.
82 is a bit warm, 76-78 is normal I believe.
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:54 pm
by ytse411
Thanks guys...sorry it took me so long to respond. She did just fine. She's been at 82 her whole life - someone/something must've said that was the temp to go by eons ago. I'm trying to get the water temp down to 80, then eventually I'll eek it down it bit more.
I just remember that a couple of years ago our area lost power for several days due to an ice storm and my coworker lost both her turtles. I set up shop at someone's house because I didn't want to take the chance. Fortunately this time around it was during the summer.
phew!
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:55 pm
by ytse411
Dammit Veipa! I'm not on here enough and I don't know how many times I've been suckered into checking out your link for the best turtle product ever. Thanks. Much.

Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:01 pm
by VeipaCray
Yeah no problem ytse411,
Just for you I've changed the link to something else... check it out.

Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:29 pm
by ytse411
SONOFABITCH!!!
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 am
by steve
LOL, I saw that coming.
Try to bring the temps to 76-77F... and it could be a bit lower if they're older.
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:24 am
by VeipaCray
LMAO ytse... I'm here for you. Glad you saw the new link.

Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 am
by Miss Tee
VC-I fell for the old link...I SWEAR I'm not gonna click on the new one...
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:30 am
by Miss Tee
VC-I fell for the old link...I SWEAR I'm not gonna click on the new one...

Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 am
by VeipaCray
Ok, your loss. There's already a few people that have PM'd me and thanked me for the new link.
Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:46 am
by Love of Animals
He did it to me to but I'm not falling for the new one too.
Ok I lied fell for it again!

Re: cold water....power outage

Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:49 am
by VeipaCray
Fell for what? Hasn't the link updated? Are you still seeing that old youtube link?