Page 1 of 4

My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:50 pm
by Gauri789
How big is your turtle? 1 1/2"
How long have you had it? 5 months

What is the water temperature? room temperature around 33 degrees C
Did you use a thermometer? no
Are you using a water heater? no
How much water is in there? 1 litre (1 inch high)
Are you using a water conditioner? no
Are you using any filtration? no but we clean the tank every other day.

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light?no
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? no basking platform but there is a warm cave that she can climb.
What kind is it or what is it made out of? wood
Is there a UVB light? no

What have you been trying to feed it? pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? today

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 1 ft
Is the tank near a window? yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? yes

Have you read the Basic Care section? yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Tappy's eyes are pink and she tries to find the food by its scent.

We had originally brought 2 RES hatchlings. We had originally kept them in a small tank and kept the water level minimum (around half an inch) to prevent accidental drowning of the turtles. 1 of the turtles had developed a sickness and eventually died because of it :( . We had taken him to 2 vets but both said that he was merely "dull" but he died sometime afterwards. I live in India but there is no proper facilities for turtles (such as a basking light, dock, etc.) and the doctors were unable to diagnose the sickness which resulted in his death.

3 months have passed since then. The other turtle (I named her Tappy) was active but suddenly her eyes started to become pinkish in the past week. This week was preceded by a period of hyperactivity in she had refused to eat and just tried to climb out of her tank. On keeping her on the ground, she tried to climb up a door and in a smaller tank she almost managed to fall out of it (Thank goodness my brother stopped her). A week has passed and now her eyes have become swollen pink (the right eye more than the left) . She is continuously scratching her eyes and has trouble opening them but she sometimes open them for a long period. She tries to walk around in her cave with her eyes closed and even tried to eat food by tracking it by its scent. I love her a lot. Will someone tell me a solution? I do not trust the veterinarians anymore in my locality as they were unable to properly diagnose my previous sick turtle. :cry:

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:40 am
by steve
I'll try to provide very clean water in the tank and apply some cod liver oil to the eyes. Have you ever taken your turtle outside?

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:24 am
by Gauri789
Yes I change the water every day. Cod-liver oil is not available in my area. I always keep her tank in sunlight during the afternoon. It makes her more active and she is able to open her eyes during that time-period. Today I gave her some anti-biotic eye drops as it was mentioned on this website that she might be having an eye-infection. Is there anything else I can do?

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 am
by steve
What kind of antibiotic eye drops? Any chance you can get your turtle some exposure to direct sunlight? Cod liver oil might be found in pharmacies, large supermarkets and health stores.

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am
by Gauri789
The name of the eye drops is Ciprocan-D which are for animal eye/ear infections and inflammations. I got it from a Pet items store. I give 2-3 drops to her twice a day. It consists of Ciprofloxcin hcl and Dexamethasone sodium phosphorate. I confirmed it with the shop owner who said that it is for turtles with swollen eyes. After 2 days of giving eye-drops to her she now opens her eyes more frequently.

I always keep her in front of the balcony door where she is exposed to direct sunlight. It livens her up, i.e. she is able to open her eyes for a while and becomes more active.

I have never found cod-liver oil in any large supermarket and/or pharmacies but I will still look for it. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:37 am
by steve
Clean water and sunlight do wonders, I would make sure she is receiving a good diet - a reputable pellet, some calcium and some vitamin a (like thin carrot slices).

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:15 am
by Gauri789
About the cod-liver oil, I think I had not checked any pharmacies only supermarkets. I found some cod- liver oil and would like to know how to apply it to her eyes. Cod-liver oil is for Vitamin A right?

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm
by steve
Yes. You can use a cotton swab or dropper to put a little on the swollen eyelid.

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:37 am
by Gauri789
Thanks a lot! I will inform you about Tappy's condition after a while.

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:30 am
by Gauri789
Actually I have a question. My turtle gets hyperactive as soon as I put her in the sunlight. Why does she do that? Can someone tell me a solution?

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 am
by steve
What do you mean hyperactive? Perhaps it's just handling her? Does she settle down?

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 pm
by Gauri789
I keep her tank in the sunlight. As soon as she sees outside her tank, she starts to climb out of the walls of the container. Although she once became hyper when my brother accidentally woke her up. Due to her efforts, she sometimes falls in the water on her back buts right herself up. Is this normal? She becomes less active as soon as we keep her tank back at its original position.

By the way her eyes are getting better, due to some of the tips you gave. Thanks again.

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:07 am
by Gauri789
Her eyes are getting better but she still doesn't eat her pellets. Why???

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:06 pm
by steve
Can you try some of the options here: http://www.redearslider.com/entice_eating.html

Re: My turtle's eyes are swollen and pink in color!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 am
by Gauri789
I checked on the website. The tips are useful but we can't fulfill all of them. By the way what is tuna water?