Page 1 of 1

How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:03 am
by AllTheCandies
Image
larger image: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com ... JbYnBj4%3D

This is one of my baby res, Stoli. When I got my two baby turtles from Chinatown they were very sick. My other one, Jager is getting better. He is making great progress and is active and his colors are bright. His shell has a small rot, but it is healing up well.

Stoli is not doing as well. He had much more shell damage than Jager. He was getting better for like the last week, but now he seems to be getting worse. Last night his eyes were swollen shut and his legs were a bit puffy too. His colors are paler than they were a few days ago. All the lines in his shell look unhappy.

I have him out of water since about ten o'clock last night to dry him off and maybe stop the shell from getting worse. I applied some diluted hydrogen peroxide on the worst parts of the shell with a Q-tip. This morning, his eyes are open and he is a bit more active. How do I help heal his shell?

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 am
by jozzep
I don't see the shell problem that you're seeing.
What i do see is his eyes are in bad shape.Apply some cod liver oil on them and try to get him to drink some diluted liquid vitamins.
He need UVB also.

**Edit

After a better look i think i see what you're talking about.
Does it smell? Is it soft?
If so try to clean out the rot with a soft tooth brush, apply some neosporin, and dry dock for a few days. Put him water just to eat a few hours a day.

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:55 am
by AllTheCandies
thank you so much <3 I really appreciate it

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:42 pm
by AllTheCandies
I just let him go for a little swim. his eyes seem to swell up only when he's in water. What would cause this?

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 pm
by steve
Could be the chlorine or chloramines... any chance you can let some water sit for a day before you use it (or use a dechlorinator)?

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:27 pm
by AllTheCandies
Ohh...that makes sense. I must not have been letting it sit out long enough. I can get dechlorinator.

What should a dry box consist of?

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:00 pm
by AllTheCandies
The swelling Stoli had on his eyes and body is gone! It was definitely a reaction to the chlorine. I currently have him and Jager in distilled water so they can clean out. Hopefully, now that that physical strain is gone his shell will heal better.

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:47 am
by steve
Good to hear. Partial water changes can reduce the problem if it bothers him.

Re: How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 pm
by AllTheCandies
His shell is healing up a bit and he isn't sleeping as much. I'm taking him out of water for a few hours each day so he has no choice but to bask.