Page 1 of 1

Is using Parasite Clear okay for my turtles, too?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 pm
by V Lou
Some fish are showing signs of parasites, so I am about to use Parasite Clear, by Jungle. I think that is the same company or affiliated at least with Tetra... Anyway, it says it is safe for fresh water fish and plants. The company is closed on the weekend, so I can't check with them.

Does anyone know if Parasite Clear is safe to use? - my turtles are in the same tank...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 pm
by marisa
It's Saturday now---why not wait and call the company Monday morning just to be sure?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 pm
by V Lou
That is why I put this in Urgent. I need to HURRY because I don't want to lose these particular fish.... the turtles have been taking such good care of them and I have grown fond; the fish are really sweet.

Plus, I imagine that if the fish have parasites, my turtles are at risk, too.

So, .... hopefully someone in our forum has already checked out whether or not Parasite Clear is safe for our turtles, and I won't need to wait for the answer until Monday. Hopefully ....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:36 pm
by marisa
But where are they supposed to check on this info if the company is closed? Have you checked out the company's web page for info on the product?

Parasite Clear contains the following ingredients:

prazinquantel
metronidazole
acriflavine
6-difluorobenzamide
N-[[(N-Chlorophenyl)amino]carbon]-2

Prazinquantel is used to treat tapeworms and flukes in turtles
Metronidazole is used to treat turtles affected with flagellate organisms
Acriflavine is used as a fungus treatment in turtles

You'll have to do further research to determine if the last two ingredients are problematic.

You could just separate the turtles from the fish while you're treating them.

Jungle sells a separate product to treat turtles with parasites.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:35 pm
by V Lou
I found out that Parasite Clear should be safe for turtles. So, I have removed my turtles for a few hours to their outside swimming pool, while the tablets dissolve in the aquarium. That way, they won't eat part of a tablet and get an overdose.... or whatever.

Thank you for your help Marisa!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:56 pm
by marisa
You're most welcome.