Urgent Care :: Mappy has GREEN spots on sheel

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:34 am   Mappy has GREEN spots on sheel

How big is your turtle? like 3 inchs
How long have you had it? a few months

What is the water temperature? 76
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? ys
How much water is in there? 60 gal
Are you using a water conditioner? yes
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature? 90s ( but now that I think about it could be lower .
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? [----]
Is there a UVB light? yeah

What have you been trying to feed it? fruit and sticks .
When was the last time your turtle ate? today

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 60 gal
Is the tank near a window? no
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? fair

Have you read the Basic Care section? yesh
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?yeah . kind of like it but not.

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No


Mappy the map turtle has two green spots on his shell, on is on the edge and on is right a scut that is about to come off. It is not soft like shell rot, and he is his normal active self any ideas of what this is .

I do not have the camera that can take pictres of my turtles so I can not show you guys.
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am   

Have you tried scrubbing the shell? Green spots automatically makes me think of algae.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 am   

Algae .. ewww . I rubbed softly , did not come off, ebcause it was on a scale that was coming off I did not want to rup to hard .

What should I do, Crack up my fillter more, bush him with a toothbrush?
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 am   

Brushing him with a soft toothbrush wouldn't hurt. Filters don't really work against algae, it just gets in the filtration. This is all assuming that it is algae. Try VERY GENTLY scraping at the algae, with like your finger nail or a similar edge. If you can't work even a bit off, it may not be algae.

Could it be a natural discoloration? Could it be an air bubble trapped under the scute? Could it be algae trapped under the scute?
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am   

I hope it something like that.

I should has he was hissing when I picked up last night trying to get the a look at the shell . I am assume this was just him being sacred, becuase he was very active after I placed him back down .

I am just so worried about my little guy.
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 192 guests