Page 1 of 1

New owner, shell problem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:34 am
by hermeticcharm
Hi guys, I am new here. I recently got a RES from some one who didn't want them any more. I have him all set up according to the caresheets and husbandry sites I have found. But today I noticed his shell looks a little odd and I am not sure if he is just about to shed or if it's something else that could be a problem.

Here are some pictures:

Image

Image

It kind of looks more like peeling sunburn when I take him out of the water and let it dry out, but when he is in the water it is a bit more whiteish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 am
by Linus
It looks like he's shedding. Don't peel them off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 am
by TheComputerGremlin
Looks like a case of semi-retained scutes and a desperate need to shed.

Try bumping up the intake of vitamin E, through blueberries, to encourage the shedding. Also, make sure that you have a brand new, proper UVB bulb and that your turtle is getting adequate basking. Beyond that, it's just a matter of waiting it out.

Should the shell start to peel up enough that water and debris can get trapped underneath, you may want to gently scrub under that area with a very soft toothbrush to prevent any shell rot from taking hold. And whatever you do, don't pick or peel the scutes off yourself, you can expose bone and flesh and it can get infected.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:41 pm
by marisa
He's retained a number of scutes and needs to shed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 pm
by rsour24
shed