Urgent Care :: HELP!! My baby tail's has been eaten.. - Update 13 June

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:35 am   HELP!! My baby tail's has been eaten.. - Update 13 June

Help~! Help~! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

One of my hatchling tail's has been eaten by her big sister (3.5 inch)! and her leg also swollen and been bitten near to the nail's bed. :cry: :cry: I do know how to explained cuz I'm working and when I get home, I see blood on the babies tank and on the bridge (babies basking spot).. The older RES who bite her also escaped from the tank (hiding under big table).

I didn't put my babies and the older RES in the same tank, there are in separate tank but I put the both tank side by side. I think the big RES climb to the basking area and jump to the babies tank and chase the baby!

Please help~! I'm so damn worried because the cut at the tail near to the cloaca of the baby.. I don't want to lose the baby~! Please please.. I already clean up the the baby with warm water and put some ointment (natural sea cucumber oil) and dry dock her but the blood still flowing out from the cut!

Here the pictures. Sorry if it too blurry because I was crying dat time and was shaking freeze for a moment because didn't know what to do. I'm scared she will die~! I don't want to lose her~! Please help me, I can't bring her to vet because its already late and it Friday, vet closed early and have to wait til next Monday~! :cry: :cry:

ImageImage
The blood on the bridge.. too many... :cry: :cry:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Image
She pooped after few minutes I put the ointment..

Help me please... anything else should I do.. :cry: :cry:

UPDATE - After a month.. my baby's tail fully recovered. Thanks to all~! You guys really help me alot~!
Here some picture after the injury.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Finally~! He loves to bask!
Image
Last edited by Azfar on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:53 am   

Take her out of the the water right away!

Keep her out of the water for several hours. if you have neosporin use that. i dont know if what your using is as good as neosporin. Just keep her in a container and make sure its warm with a moist paper towel, basically dry dock her. That will stop the blood. Then return her to her tank only after the bleeding has stopped.

The rest is up to the vet. Best of luck waiting till Monday.
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:52 am   

I already dry dock her and put in the other container with moist paper towel and turn on the Exo Terra infrared light (my mum said is good for healing) still can see the blood not stop yet as the she walking on the paper towel and leave the blood stain..

I don't have neosporin here and didn't find any substitute product like that so I use the natural sea cucumber ointment. Is it possible to put her back in the tank if the bleeding has stopped? Because there still one baby in the tank. Scared if blood poison affect other turtle..

Hmmm... :cry: :cry:

Can she survived?
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:35 pm   

Has the bleeding slowed down? Neosporin is an antibiotic ointment, it might also be sold as Polysporin. Let her rest and sleep as much as possible so she won't move around too much. I would dry dock her a few days, but make sure you get her into some water a couple of times a day to drink and eat.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 pm   

The bleeding hasn't stopped :cry: every time she move around on the paper towel, she leave the blood trail... Last time I feed her was this morning, I think she ate like 5 - 6 pellets. Its ok to let her rest and sleep without water? She still baby, I just had her for a week :cry: isskk...

I want to know, can she survived? I've search that if the vents gets cut then turtle can die.. So what will happen to my baby? Please please...
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:50 pm   

She can rest and sleep out of water fine. Try to get her to a dark, quiet area. The cloaca is still there, so that is good, but I do not know what will happen. Any chance there are other vets you can see? Maybe the vet has an emergency number to call?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:58 pm   

Oh.. good to hear dat.. a bit relief.. so if the cloaca still there, can the tail grow back? Or if the tail does not grow back, will the turtle survived without a tail? I always bring my pets to government vet and they don't provide emergency service unless for cats and dogs. Maybe I can try to check private vet if they can help my turtles.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:03 pm   

The tail will not grow back but the turtle can survive with part of the tail missing.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:26 pm   

So after few days if the bleeding has stopped, I clean the area, can I put her back into the tank with her partner? Or should I separate her also? Hmm...
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:27 pm   

I think it is a good sign that the turtle was able to poop. She still needs a vet as soon as you can get her to one. I think the important thing right now is to keep her as quiet as possible, it sounds as if the blood flow is slowing down, but when she moves around she starts bleeding again. Keep her in a very quiet area of the house. Also, Bacitracin ointment might be an alternative if you can't find Neosporin. I would think the pharmacy in you country must carry some sort of over the counter antibiotic cream, I suggest to ask the pharmacist. I really hope the little guy does OK!!!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 pm   

so any kind of antibiotic cream will help? or if there any antibiotic cream likes for human baby the mild one (not harm to turtle) then I can apply to her? ThankS~! I will go check pharmacy tomorrow first thing in morning! Thank you so much. I put my turtle in small container so dat she won't move too much and place her far away from activity in the house.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:41 pm   

Once the bleeding has stopped i would not try and clean it incase you were to break open the area again and just try and keep the tank very clean.

I would keep your turtles seperate for awhile. That needs to be fully healed incase the other one were to pick at it or just acidently claw at it, you know how two turtles get swiming around each other. They hit each other with there feet and everything.

Still go to the vet also.

I have full faith in your turtle making it. My painted also his tail taken by another turtle as a baby and he is doing just fine.
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:48 pm   

Owh okay. Then for a moment I will let her stay in the quarantine container until she fully healed. So if I apply the antibiotic cream, then just let the cream do the works? No need to clean up and put some more after few hours like dat?

Thank you for having faith on my turtle. I really hope she can survived. I don't to lose her whatever happen to her.. I really attached to her.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:59 pm   

The cream should stay on for awhile.... couple days

If you notice that most of the cream got knocked off or taken off. Put more on it. The cream is ment to kill any of the bad bacteria that would cause the area to become infected as long as thats there it will keep the wound clean and moist and it will help speed up the healing process.
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:03 pm   

Update

After whole night I dry dock her and put the pellets inside it, she didn't touch the pellets at all, so this morning I put some water and lets the pellets wet and she eat all the pellets! She must be so hungry.. owh ya and she pooped after she done.. is dat a good sign?
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Next

Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 109 guests