At my new school they keep a possibly an Ornate RES?
Anyways, I'm a bit worried about her health.
She has been kept in a plastic tray with a centimeter of water for 2 years.
I told the class and teacher about basic care and habitat requirement, and we all worked together to make it better.
Now she's in a rubbermaid with aqautic plants and a piece of wood for resting.
But I checked her plastron and the seams between each belly scute has a red line. Is this Septicemia? I was observing her and she didn't act like she was sick. She was very alert and was swimming around slowly.
How big is your turtle? She is around 4 inches.
How long have you had it? Not mine.
What is the water temperature? 60-70 oF
Did you use a thermometer? No
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there? Around 7 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? No
Are you using any filtration? No
What is the basking temperature? air temperature
Is there a basking light? No
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? No
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Wood
Is there a UVB light? No
What have you been trying to feed it? Turtle pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? It ate a pellet this morning
How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 15 gallons
Is the tank near a window? Yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Yes
Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes
Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? She SEEMS normal, except for the red seams in between the scutes on the plastron.
I'll go to school tomorrow and take pictures of her for clarification. Also, I volunteered to take her to a vet soon. But since I don't have any tanks will an unheated plastic container filled with water suffice for 2 nights?
Thanks,
Kevin


