Page 1 of 1
meowing?

Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 pm
by megggan
I have 5 RES. Just a few minutes ago, I noticed that one of my turtles is making a funny meowing sound. It literally sounds like a baby kitten. He doesn't seem to be swimming any differently, not lopsided or anything, so I'm not quite sure if it could be a sign of RI or not.
I did just give them ReptoTreat suprema, krill enriched food sticks, as a treat. Today was the first time they've had these. Maybe he ate too much, or has a piece of food stuck in his throat?
He's been making this sound pretty much contantly for at least the past 10-15 minutes. He'll make the sound, stop for a few seconds, then start back up again.
Any ideas? Please help!

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:29 am
by industrial_girl_2000
Is he making a "wheezing" sound? That might sound like meowing.
When he is out of the water, does he have his mouth open when he breathes?

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:30 pm
by Cramer
If it's after streneous activity or being underwater for longer than normal, it's okay. All that panting through little wet nose holes can make a whistle. I'd pay attention to if it does it while relaxing or basking and certainly with any additional RI symptom.
ps. I laughed at the title because this weekend I held my 2 year old niece up to a huge aquarium in an L.L. Bean store and pointed to a catfish and she said "meow."

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 pm
by megggan
Yes, I'm pretty sure you would classify his "meowing" as wheezing, and no, his mouth isn't open when he breathes, and he doesn't make the sound AS MUCH while he's basking, although he does still make it.
Sometimes it seems almost like he's scared. He'll swim around in a small area very quickly, and up against the glass. Then he'll hurry and swim up to get get air, makes that sound, then starts swimming around again.
I didn't seem to hear the sound at all last night after their lights went out, or this morning at all before I left for work. Even once I got home I didn't hear him, but just a little bit ago he started his "meowing" again. It doesn't seem as bad as yesterday though, he's only made the sound a couple times so far today (that I know of).

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:35 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
My turtle was doing that a while back whenever it was feeding time, but it was more of a squeaking kind of sound. He would be clawing at the glass and squeaking! Then as soon as dinner was over, he was quiet again. My husband claims that turtles make sounds, people just don't pay attention to them. I think as long as it's only periodic and his mouth isn't constantly open, he's okay. I know the people on the board were worried about an RI.

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:40 pm
by SpotsMama
My turtle has never made a sound. They don't typically make a sound. I think he's either got a respiratory problem or he's got something stuck in his throat.
How's he doing now?

Posted:
Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:42 pm
by megggan
He was making the sound again today, more so than he was yesterday. It's not as frequent as it was the first day, but it still makes me nervous. Like I said before, I do have FIVE of them, 3 are VERY hard to tell apart, but one has been basking A LOT today. I'm not sure if it's the same turtle or not, but don't you think it would make sense if it was the same turtle?
What do you suggest I do? Should I make a vet apt? And do you know of any websites that can help me find a herp vet in the Pittsburgh area?

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:13 am
by TheComputerGremlin
If you go here:
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/penn.shtml, there is at least one listed. You can go under Urgent Care and one of the stickies are vets. If he's really small, though, they might not treat him, so be forewarned. Is he exhibiting any other signs of an RI, like bubbles around the nose, or the mouth being open a lot? If he still has a good appetite and everything, maybe if you can quarantine him in a separate tank and bump up his water temp and monitor him separately.

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:11 pm
by megggan
That's the thing, he isn't showing any other signs of RI. No bubbles around the nose, his mouth is never open, other than when he's eating or he yawns (his mouth isn't even open when he's making the sound), no lopsided swimming.. The only thing other than the sound he's making that's unusual is occasionally he'll swim backwards, but he ONLY does it when it's feeding time, and he's done that for a long time.

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:53 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
IMO, I wouldn't be worried. I'm not that experienced in long terms of turtles, but I probably wouldn't have even noticed. Just keep an eye on him for a few weeks.

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:13 pm
by megggan
That's what I think I'm going to do, but if it gets any worse I'll definitely make a vet apt. Hey, maybe he just likes to meow haha
Thanks for everyone's advice!


Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:21 am
by SpotsMama
My two cents - if I'm feeling very concerned about my turtle, I'll take him to see a vet on the theory that it's better to be safe than sorry. If it turns out to be nothing, then you'll feel relieved. If on the other hand, there's a problem, then the vet may be able to help. The sound you're describing is very unusual for a turtle to make, to say the least.

Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:26 am
by Starchick
How often is he yawning? It could be normal but if you see it happen frequently that can be a symptom of respiratory infection.
I had a turtle that wheezed a lot when we got him. We treated him for RI and it made no difference, and after about 6 months it went away. We never knew why.