Page 1 of 2
I think my turle dying

Posted:
Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:23 pm
by redearlover
I just came back from the vet after a check up on Artutle. He had shell rot a month ago and the wounds were deep, I have been taking care of him day and night because I LOVE HIM!! I am crying really hard as I write this.... Arturtle shell seemed to be getting better and today I took him to the vet for a check up. The vet said he looked like he was "coming along fine" but gave him a vit.A shot to "boost his immunity". Well, I brought him home, put him in the tank and he acted wierd, started opening his mouth and then he threw up A lot! I called the vet and the Secretary said it was "stress" and to keep an eye on him. He is lethagic! At one point it looked as thought he could not come up for air so I immediatly grabed him out and put him the the dry tank that I have been keeping him in . He is just sitting there head down, won't even move when I touch him.
My tears are running down my face on to my poor Arturtle. Is it best to let him die in the water or the dry dock?
What Happened? Did the Vit A kill him? Shellrot get to him? RI? Fecal impaction? I mention the RI because I know he has one, but I was giving him shots for 3 days now.(continuing if he lives) I mention Fecal impaction because I have not seen him poop for 1 to 2 weeks.(no gravel or sand in tank) I thought he had like diarreah when I looked in the tank the other day but it looks just like the vomit he did so he may of thrown up once before.
I feel a this point I cannot save him? Sorry to ramble but I am so sad and crying so hard. Any thoughts?

Posted:
Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 pm
by SpotsMama
Oh my goodness - how scary. I've heard of turtles having bad reactions to vitamin A shots before. Did you mention to the vet that you hadn't noticed him pooping for awhile or that you thought he had diarrhea? What did the vet say?
I think you're doing the right thing. Keep him out of the water, warm (80 to 82 degrees), and very quiet. Avoid stressing him as much as you can. Hopefully he'll come around.
How is he doing now?

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:56 am
by industrial_girl_2000
I agree with everything Spotsmama said. Keep the tank in a quiet place & don't pick him up if you don't have to. Keep us posted.
Getting worse

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:14 pm
by redearlover
Arturtle is just getting worse, he can't even lift his head. I know he is dying and I still think the vit A shot might have been the killer. I fell so guilty allowing the doc to give a shot to my baby! I thought it would help him! He was fine before I took him to the vet? I mean I know he has a RI but at least he could LIFT UP HIS HEAD! I didn't think a vit would kill him.
It has been 24hours now and he's still "alive" but I don't know how much longer. I gave him some baytril just to see if there is ANYTHING I can do. He did not even flinch from the shot.
I'm just SICK, I just keep crying and I don't know if I should just go and find a nice pond so he can drown or what. Is there something else I can give him to bring him back......Oh I can't stand this.......My heart HURTS!!!

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:32 pm
by megcornell
I'm so sorry things aren't going well.
If Arturtle does have vit a toxicity, there's nothing you can do to lessen it- there's no chemical or drug you can give him to get it out of his system, his liver just has to process it all.
The best thing you can do for him is to give him a warm and safe place to dry dock like you've been doing, unfortunately he'll have to do the rest on his own.
Regardless of what happens, you've done a wonderful job trying to get him the care he needed. When a turtle has RI the quicker he gets the antibiotics the better his chance of fighting the infection, so you were right in everything you did. Sadly it sounds like the vit a shot was too much for his already weakened immune system.
Don't be too hard on yourself, you're really doing everything right. Arturtle really sounds like a fighter, hopefully he'll pull through!

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:59 pm
by madmax1
I sorry your turtle is so sick , it is really sad , you are a courageous person! i wish you all the best . hope all works out. keep your head up ! your doing all you can .
Thanks for all your well wishes

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:34 pm
by redearlover
Arturtle is probably hours from death. Thank you all for your well wishes. I'm just sick watching him die, but yet there is a little glimmer of hope I have that he might pull through. My heart yes, but my brain says no. I didn't think death would take so long. Poor thing! I took him outside to lay in the sun for a min. but he's so weak, I don't think he knows where he is. I put him back in the dry tank because a stupid ant kept crawling on him. I know I tried to do the right thing but I'm not sure I would recommend anyone giving their turtle a vit A shot.
So here I sit, crying and sad, as I have been for 2 days.
Missing that little face that would look up at me when I would sing to him.

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm
by SpotsMama
I'm so very sorry. I'm still hoping he'll come around. Sometimes turtles can surprise you. Keep on doing what you're doing - keep him warm and quiet. You and Arturtle will be in my thoughts.

Posted:
Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:00 pm
by marisa
I'm sorry to hear this happened. Automatically giving a shot of vitamin A seems to be rather common, and it can do more harm than good, especially if there were no signs of a vitamin A deficiency to begin with. (The vet I took one of my painteds to wanted to give a vit A shot as a matter of course and I refused.) Keep him in a quiet place. If you're keeping him in a dry tank, don't forget to hydrate him a few times a day in comfortably warm water.
You said you wanted to do something (anything) and you gave him a shot of Baytril---if this was in addition to his usual shot, don't give him extra. Only give what you're supposed to.
Perhaps his liver will tolerate the Vit A with minimal damage. I hope he pulls through for you...

Posted:
Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:27 pm
by Tann
Sorry to hear that! Yeah the vet is giving my baby tons of vitamin A too and now my baby is going to die. It's hurt to watch her suffers. I cry everyday. Vitamin A doesn't make any better but when the vet gives antibiotic, then it's like magic! If he tries to give my baby some vitamin A again this week, I'm going to stab him with his needle!
Arturtle died

Posted:
Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 am
by redearlover
Just as I thought, Arturtle died last night. Poor thing. I have been sad and kind of distraught all day. I keep thinking about him. I feel in my heart it was the vit a. But whatever I can say it was or wasn't, I guess it doesn't matter. I didn't think a Turtle would grasp my heart strings so tight. But that little face, that sweet little face that would get excited when I would look in his tank and he would swim so rapidly. He looked and turn his head when I would sing to him. Oh this SUCKS! I never thought a little creature would have such a personality.
Anyway, we put him in a nice wooden box and buried him in the back yard. I keep trying to burn the good memories of him in my mind. Not sure about getting another, I'm just too sad and I don't know if I could find another as sweet as he was.
I really did LOVE that little thing! Goodbye Arturtle!

Posted:
Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:25 am
by powerofvoodoo
Aww I'm so sorry that he died.

Posted:
Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:27 am
by SpotsMama
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You did everything you could. It's very hard when you care so much but it's just that caring that makes you such a good turtle mom.

Posted:
Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 am
by Tann
I'm so sorry! Please DO NOT try to erase little Arturtle from your mind. Keep him in your memory and believe me it's worth. I think he doesn't want you to forget him anyway. Don't hesitate to get new one (RES or others) coz it will help you get through this. For me, nothing is better than seeing that little faces look at me when I'm home. Remember, it's not your fault! You already do your best!

Posted:
Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:53 am
by megcornell
Oh, I'm so sorry he didn't make it. You fought so well for him and really gave him your all. Sometimes even our best intentions don't pull through with pets as frail as sick hatchlings. I can imagine you can't even consider another turtle now, but do realize that if and when you're ready another turtle would be so lucky to have you as it's owner.