Urgent Care :: HHELP PEICE OF TURTLE SHELL IS RIPPED OFF!!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:35 pm   

Please get him to a vet as soon as possible.

From www.anapsid.org "It is important for the wound to be thoroughly cleaned and all loose pieces to be removed from the cracked shell. Injectable antibiotics should be given. Turtles can get a serious disease called peritonitis and septicemia..."

Here are some sites for other tips about what to do, please read them carefully.
http://www.turtlecare.net/repair.htm
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... ed%20Shell:

what you should expect from the vet: http://www.anapsid.org/shellrepair.html
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:34 am   

How is the turtle doing? Have you found a herp vet yet?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:47 am   

I saw in another post that the turtle has since passed away.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:53 am   

Yeah, just read it. Pity. I'd still like to know how that shell got ripped. Big Green? That turtle doesn't look very big to me, at least in the pic in this thread.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:18 pm   

Did you get him to a vet?
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Location: Somewhere in Texas

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:07 pm   

thats sad. he probly would have lived if he has been taken to a vet.........
RES~Smokey
Green Cheek Conure~Shadow
a beta, and a 30 gallon aquarium
User avatar
Jessica313
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Apr 29, 2006
Location: Boston, MA

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:33 pm   

he might not have had the money jessicadont make him feel bad :(
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Apr 27, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:36 pm   

There is nothing that says he would have survived if he had gotten to a vet. The injuries looked pretty tramatizing.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:03 am   

Andrew7769 wrote:he might not have had the money jessicadont make him feel bad :(


Part of keeping a turtle is being able to care for it. If you cannot afford veterinary care, then you cannot afford a turtle. This is an important reality that we need to face, and all potential turtle keepers need to know.

I actually think that, given proper first aid and care, the turtle could have lived. They are normally very resilient. My turtle had a shell break about a month ago (he knocked over a bucket and fell off of a counter) and he is alive and recovering nicely, because he received proper first aid.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:19 am   

reptilegrrl wrote:
Andrew7769 wrote:he might not have had the money jessicadont make him feel bad :(


Part of keeping a turtle is being able to care for it. If you cannot afford veterinary care, then you cannot afford a turtle. This is an important reality that we need to face, and all potential turtle keepers need to know.

I actually think that, given proper first aid and care, the turtle could have lived. They are normally very resilient. My turtle had a shell break about a month ago (he knocked over a bucket and fell off of a counter) and he is alive and recovering nicely, because he received proper first aid.


In VuONG's defence I will say that a lot of people get these turtles not realizing the amount of money it is going to cost them. They don't figure it out until they find this site and we explain how their set up and etc... should be. I am with you, about him taking him to the vet 100%. I just wanted to say that some people buy these animal on a impulse and then they do the best they can with what they have. :D It would be great if people would come to this site first before they buy their turtles and then they would know that it does take a lot of time and money. :wink:
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
User avatar
TinySlider2
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Jul 30, 2005
Location: Tennessee

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:44 am   

TinySlider2 wrote:In VuONG's defence I will say that a lot of people get these turtles not realizing the amount of money it is going to cost them. They don't figure it out until they find this site and we explain how their set up and etc... should be. I am with you, about him taking him to the vet 100%. I just wanted to say that some people buy these animal on a impulse and then they do the best they can with what they have. :D It would be great if people would come to this site first before they buy their turtles and then they would know that it does take a lot of time and money. :wink:


Oh, I do agree that a lot of people don't know what they are getting into. My response was directed at Andrew's comment; I don't think it's legitimate to scold Jessica for saying that the turtle could have recovered had he seen a vet. In this case something went very wrong in that turtle tank.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:52 am   

I know what you are saying. Poor little guy, I just wonder what happen.
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
User avatar
TinySlider2
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Jul 30, 2005
Location: Tennessee

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:45 pm   

thanks reptilegrl, i apprechiate you defending me. i didnt feel i said anything wrong... just the truth
RES~Smokey
Green Cheek Conure~Shadow
a beta, and a 30 gallon aquarium
User avatar
Jessica313
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Apr 29, 2006
Location: Boston, MA

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:38 pm   

You didn't. lol
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
User avatar
TinySlider2
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Jul 30, 2005
Location: Tennessee

Previous

Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 129 guests