Urgent Care :: Milky white/grey eyelids on hatchlings?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:40 am   Milky white/grey eyelids on hatchlings?

So here's the story...just became a new RES owner when my wife and daughters bought two of them while walking in downtown LA. After hours of research and $500 invested in their new home, they seem to be thriving. However, I have noticed that both of them have milky white eyelids? Their eyes don't look "swollen" so to speak, I just notice that their eyelids are a different color than the rest of their body.

I've tried to take pics but I can't seem to get a clear shot of the eyes when they are closed to reveal the white discoloring. I have a 7.0 megapixel camera but it still won't show up.

Was wondering if anyone has encountered this and hopefully can offer some advice. Any info is greatly appreciated.

How big is your turtle? 2"
How long have you had it? 2 weeks

What is the water temperature? 78 F
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? no, water stays the same temp. I live in San Diego.
How much water is in there? about 50 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? yes
Are you using any filtration? yes, cascade 700 canister filter

What is the basking temperature? 95 F
Is there a basking light? yes UVB 10.0
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes, both of them frequent the area. One more than the other, but I suspect this is because the other one is still getting used to the new home.
What kind is it or what is it made out of? It's made of driftwood pieces that I fastened together.
Is there a UVB light? yes

What have you been trying to feed it? hatchling pellets with vitamins, live guppies and lettuce. Going to add some carrots as I think this may be a Vit A deficiency.
When was the last time your turtle ate? today x 2

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 60 Gl
Is the tank near a window? yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no

Have you read the Basic Care section? yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? no
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:51 am   

How close is the UVB bulb to the basking area??? What wattage bulbs are you using??
The bulbs might be irratating their eyes
Any chance of pics of the tank and setup??
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
User avatar
chrisinva
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 am   

I have a repti glo 5.0 26 W UVB positioned about 15" off the basking area. They have just been released into the new habitat. Prior to this, they were in the breeding container they were sold to my wife in. I noticed the milky eyelids prior to releasing them into their new home. I suspected that it was due to improper conditions in their breeding container but now that they are in a better home, it seems to be getting worse. I will post pics soon. I will try and get lucky and see if I can get a good shot of one of the eyes while i'm at it.
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:17 am   

I use the same UVB bulb and your distance seems right

What about your basking bulb wattage?
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
User avatar
chrisinva
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:24 am   

I use a 60 W soft white bulb in a clip on lamp.
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:05 am   

It sounds normal -- have you seen other pics on the forum with eyes closed?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 pm   

I have but none that really match the symptoms that mine are exhibiting.
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:39 pm   

From what you wrote, the pale eyelids don't sound like there's a real problem. Do they open their eyes easily? Are the eyes alert when they're open? With smaller RES, you can sometimes see their eyes "moving" around under the eyelids (they can see movement and are able to slip into the water if threatened).

I'd lower the basking area temp a bit, to more like 90F.
A basking light is not the same as the UVB light. The UVB light provides UVB and UVA rays. The basking light provides heat, and you can use a regular incandescent lightbulb to do this.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:43 pm   

They open easily and they seem to be very alert. I apologize but am still not able to get a good pic of theire eyelids to better describe the pic. When I pick them up to photograph them they don't close their eyes and when they are basking with closed eyes, my camera doesn't seem to get a clear shot. Thanks for all the help from everyone though, you guys are awesome.
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:08 pm   

My hatchling's eyes were closed and seemed to have a flim over them so I bought the turtle eye drops from Petco and that fixed the problem in two days. The eye drops really work great, that is what I would recommed trying.
<3 Olive & Shrimp
JAS722
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Location: Vernon, CT

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 pm   

I've heard rave reviews about the drops as well as the cod liver oil treatment. If I don't see any type of improvement now that they have the proper setup, I will def move to that step next.
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:25 am   

Normal RES eyelids are milky-white. This sounds normal. Do their eyes have any discoloration when their eyes are open? If not, don't worry. It just sounds like they have their eyes closed (:
User avatar
Arisu
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Northern California, USA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:29 am   

That color is normal? I know their eyes are closed when I see the milky white, it's on their eyelids. There isn't any discoloration on the pupils. Other than th eyelids, they seem to be thriving.

I'm glad to hear that color is normal. This puts me at ease.
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Location: Carson, CA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm   

rest-es -- If your uvb lighting is 5.0 that should be fine. The 10.0 is too harsh. I wish you could get a photo of the eyelids. I had one of my 4 inch turtle to do the same thing, but since I cannot see it I am not sure it is the same thing. I dry docked mine and kept eye drops on them every several hours. They were dry docked for about 8 hours per day for three days and they cleared up. Make sure you have a problem before you do anything. Good Luck. b.
Bascomb
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Oct 28, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:25 pm   

The lighting could be the problem,lik the others said.It could also be a lack of vitamins & calcium,or it could be just the way the eyes are.But try putting cuttlebone to help get some calcium,and it's not like turtle cuttlebone,you can use the same kind that are udes for birds.Hope this helps!
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Next

Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 78 guests