Urgent Care :: Pink Stuff.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:40 pm   

Some people choose not to feed live foods. If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing, you don't have to do it. It isn't a necessity.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:28 am   

no one said you had to watch
Sometimes it takes a pet to make us slow down and find the most trivial of things soo damn interesting.
mUsic > life
DJ MasterMind
User avatar
MrScratchTheRES
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Aug 30, 2006
Location: Riverside, Ca 92507

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:44 am   

I've never actually seen Spot catch a minnow, which is fine with me. I only started offering them about a month ago because I was squeemish about the process. I decided I want Spot to experience as much as possible what he would have as a wild turtle, so went ahead with the minnows. My husband's not entirely on board with it. I think if a person isn't comfortable with the process, that's perfectly ok. All a turtle's dietary needs can be met without live feeding.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:59 pm   

Actually very warm water will kill them in about 30-45 seconds, at least the small ones. I only feed them when they're dead, since I once mistakenly put a very pretty fancy-tailed BIG goldfish in my turtle tank... and my biggest res mauled the poor thing to death. That was before I knew that turts will eat live fish, and it was gruesome enough for me to not want to see that ever again. :wink:
amazingcc
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jul 17, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:27 am   

think of it like cop's and robbers when you were a kid.
Sometimes it takes a pet to make us slow down and find the most trivial of things soo damn interesting.
mUsic > life
DJ MasterMind
User avatar
MrScratchTheRES
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Aug 30, 2006
Location: Riverside, Ca 92507

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:00 pm   

Oooookay... except I can't remember any of the cops ever wanting to eat me! :wink:
amazingcc
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jul 17, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:45 pm   

Ahaha. Neither can I. Thanks everyone for all your replies. I think I'll try giving him a minnow. And if it feels wrong..I'll take minnows out of his meal. How big are the minnows, usually?
*proud to present: Connor Alejandro Li II
User avatar
iris
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Aug 21, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:03 pm   

not that big.... if your turt is big enough they usally chomps them down in one bite...but if its a big fish prepeare to see it eaten in more than one bite
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Apr 27, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:09 pm   

My turtle is 1 1/2 inches. That's fairly small for a turtle, no?
*proud to present: Connor Alejandro Li II
User avatar
iris
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Aug 21, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:07 pm   

When my turts were younger it seemed to take them two bites...I can't watch that, lol. Once was enough.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:31 am   

My turtle eats rosies occasionally. I've never actually witnessed this, but then again, I'm not watching him all day, lol. He seems to only eat them at night because there will be one or two less the next day.
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
User avatar
Shavannah
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 23, 2006
Location: Ohio

Previous

Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests