Urgent Care :: Aggression? Mating? Possibly Homosexual??

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:29 am   Aggression? Mating? Possibly Homosexual??

Okay, I have 4 male turtles in my tank, 3 babies which are probably around 3-9 months old and I have 1 1-2 year old. Note: This is only temporary, on Sunday the babies and the old one will be separated and they will each have their own separate tanks.

The problem is that one of the babies is constantly bothering both the other babies and the older turtle. He frequently does the slapping himself in the head dance (he vibrates his front claws against his head) to the others. What is pretty pathetic is that the baby is actually scaring the older turtle who is at least 3 or 4 times his size. The struggles usually last 2 or 3 minutes in which they will fight all through the tank. The little baby usually pushes the older turtle around the tank. Both turtles do it in unison, but the little turtle is always the one who pushes the others against the sides and such.

I know he is not of mating age, but does this mean he is a terrible little aggressor or is he just one confused little turtle. I tried researching this behavior on the internet, but I have not come to any suitable conclusions.
User avatar
adammaxis
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 25, 2006
Location: "Downstate" NY

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:10 am   

First off how big are the babies (shell length not including curve) and how big is the older one? If they are not at least 4 inches in length, then you won't be able to know what gender they are.

How large of a tank are they in? Too small of a tank will lead to serious aggression issues if they each do not have enough "me" space. This is typical turtle behavior and can be caused by aggression (which is what I'm thinking) but turtles who live by themselves have at times been known to do the vibrating claws thing as well, so it could be a way of them communicating with each other.

I'd be vary careful with keeping the little ones and the larger one together. There have been reports of larger turtles harming/killing baby ones both intentional and accidentally in the past. Until Sunday I'd keep as close of an eye on them as you can. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Jul 3, 2005
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:02 am   

2 of the babies are 1 and 3/4 inch while the other one (runt) is 1 and 1/4 inch. The older one is 3 and 3/4 inches.

The tank is 10 gallons. I know the rule about how many gallons you are supposed to have per 1 inch of shell but this is the best I can do. I know this is really squeezing them in, but I am currently in college and have no choice.
2 RES
Toby and Tuba.
User avatar
adammaxis
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 25, 2006
Location: "Downstate" NY

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:14 pm   

They'll all have their own separate tanks this Sunday? The problem should be eliminated then, although the one that's doing the fluttering may continue it with objects in the tank (my RES does it to rocks, one of my painteds does it to the temp gauge on his water heater). If so, it's not unusual and not a worry. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:25 pm   

It is very strange how the little one seems to be in control of the tank.
2 RES
Toby and Tuba.
User avatar
adammaxis
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 25, 2006
Location: "Downstate" NY


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests