Urgent Care :: Biting Injury?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:00 pm   Biting Injury?

Hi Everyone. This is my first time here. I have two RES. Not sure of their sex. One is about 9 inches and the smaller one about 7 in. They have been together since they were the size of a 50-cent piece. They have always seemed to get along and still do. They often "sniff" each other and hang out basking together. Lately the big one started holding its hind legs in. I checked them out and it seems there are injuries along the outside of each foot. It looks a little raw and pink. I caught the little one with his nose back there, which really upset the big one. Is little one biting? If so, why all of a sudden. How should I care for the injury? I separated them this morning. They have never been apart. I hope I haven't traumatized them. I'm so worried. What should I do?
Nana with two much two do! Two daughters, two grandchildren, two cats and two turtles!
deb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: San Francisco East Bay

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:13 pm   

Hi and Welcome... :)

Is it possible for you to post some pictures? That way maybe someone could tell you the sex of the turtles.. and if they are injuries caused by the other turtle. Is there anything rough in the tank, anything you've changed that it may have injured itself on. I'm also wondering if one isn't female and the other male and maybe its mating agression. Have you checked at all to see if the larger turtle is gravid (carrying eggs)? If you can get pictures up that would be a great help.
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:20 pm   

you can always check the other posts on sexing to help decide if yoursa are male or female. How ever you didn't mention if YOU have had them all that time.
User avatar
tini
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Aug 15, 2005
Location: Oxnard, California

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:37 pm   

How big is the tank and how much water is in there? A small tank will increase the chances of aggression, though will not prevent it.

And, as Carol mentioned, you must watch out for rough objects that also includes the basking area. Secondly, an unguarded heater could cause burns, though is somewhat rare.

Now, since there is an injury, you should raise temps about 5 degrees so the water is about 80-82 degrees F and the basking is around 95-98 F. The water should be as clean as possible and some would suggest to use an ointment (I forgot what kinds are used). And schedule a vet visit... a complete checkup is in order if they've never been to one and your vet may administer an antibiotic and provide you with what ointment/medication you may need.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:38 pm   

Also, separating them is the appropriate thing to do, however you must make sure they are both getting the basic necessities.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:44 am   

Keep the injured one's water clean to prevent infection. You could apply a bit of Neosporin to the injured area with a q-tip and keep the turtle out of the water for a bit (about 30 min.) to let some of it sink in.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:12 am   

Morning RES Lovers. Sorry for the delayed reply. When I first wrote I was still at work and it was pretty late. By the time I got home and checked by email, you were all there for me. Awesome!!! I was so grateful. "Biggie" (she?) is doing much better since I separated her. Her hind legs are out again and she is using them. Marisa, I love the Neosporin idea. Her injuries are not as bad as I thought. She and I will be handing out together today and getting very intimate. My babies have never been to the vet. I plan to take them soon for a check up. I got a great referral from a coworker. Her vet is really into turtles. I hear he has a rather great display of them in his office. Doc also has tortoises at home. I now realize they may have outgrown their living quarters. My tank is only 40 gallons. 18 W x 36 L . Guess I have to sell the piano to make room! Thanks everyone. :wink: [/code][/list]
Nana with two much two do! Two daughters, two grandchildren, two cats and two turtles!
deb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: San Francisco East Bay

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:33 pm   Hurting Turtle Needs Help!!!!!!!

I have 3 turtles, and two of them grow up together and just recently like about a couple months ago I got a tiny turtle from a friend, he was in his own tank for awhile but my dad decided to add the tiny turtle along with the other two turtles, the turtles were all getting along and then recently the two bigger turtles started attacking the tiny turtle. After noticeing the two bigger turtles attacking we then did replace him back into his own tank. They bit his tail off and right above his tail his shell kinda cracked, and noticed recently that sum of his back toe nails are off as well, also I just noticed today when I took him out of the tank that he isn't opening his eyes and doesn't like to use his back legs very much. After putting him into his own tank again, I noticed he doesn't like to eat very much as he use to and doesn't really want to do anything at all. Is there any thing that we can do to care for this tiny turtle...he needs the help. Please respond back asap if u could please, I would greatly appreciate it. If u could respond back 2 my email just so I know I could get ur respondes back. Thankx a bunch!
*Crystal*
Crystal
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 4, 2005

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17 pm   

I think if I were you, I'd be taking him to a vet to be checked out. In the meantime, raise the temperature of his water to 80-82... and keep the water very very clean to try and prevent any infections. I can only imagine the poor baby is traumatized by the experience. Let us know how you make out.

Oh and Welcome to the Forum :)
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:59 am   

I don't know why people insist on putting hatchlings with larger turtles. Your dad's decision has caused a lot of unintentional harm and you need to get that tiny slider to a qualified vet. ASAP.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:44 am   

My friend has a RES that's she's had for about 7 or 8 years now and recently got a new baby turtle. She put the baby turtle in with her big turtle and she woke up one morning to find that the big turtle had eaten half of the baby turtle. We're still not sure if the baby died in the night or if the bigger one killed it ( I think he killed it...but she doesn't want to believe her baby could do that...lol). I'm scared to get another turtle now. Mine is still a little one (only about an ince and a half) but she's (?) been alone in her tank for a few months now ( about 5months). Is it safe to get another?
Jen182
 
Posts: 41
Joined: May 31, 2005

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:09 am   

Well maybe these stories will finally get it into peoples heads how dangerous it is to put small turtles in with big ones and that we don't just say that because we like to hear ourselves talk.. well type :)

Advice on getting a new turtle. Will you be prepared to separate them if need be.. 2 whole setups that are adequate for both of them for the rest of their lives? They may get along as young ones but there's not telling what will happen once they grow.
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:19 pm   

Jen182, are you thinking of getting a second turtle? If so, why?

Crystal, how small is the turtle? What kind of set up did he have to begin with (the one that he went back into)? What is the temp of the water and basking area?

He should be seen by a herp vet. How bad is the shell cracked? What are you trying to feed him?

Until you can get him medical attention, keep the water super clean to prevent infection, and keep him a little warmer than usual (water about 80-81F (he needs his own submersible water heater if he doesn't have one) and the basking area 10 degrees higher.

Let us know how he's doing and what the vet says.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:47 pm   

marisa wrote:Jen182, are you thinking of getting a second turtle? If so, why?


No, I'm not. I was just wondering if big turtles are agressive towards little turtles. I thought about getting two when I first got my turtle but decided against it and only got one. After that incidnet I figured it was probably for the best anyway. :wink:

I was just wondering how safe it is to put two turtles in a tank together if one is introduced later. I think my friend is going to try and get another bigger turtle and I don't know weather I should talk her out of it or not.

Let us know how he's doing and what the vet says.[/quote]
Jen182
 
Posts: 41
Joined: May 31, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:01 pm   

If doing this, it would be good, after a quarantine period, to put them in a tank that's new to both of them so that one isn't being introduced to another's territory. I know, though, that it's not always possible to do this. The tank should be big enough for both of them, and there should be places for them to go to for privacy/to retreat if any posturing occurs. You'd really want them to be of comparable size, as well. Smaller/weaker ones are more easily bullied by larger ones and would find it more difficult to compete for food.

Putting two turtles together is really a gamble. You'd want to increase the chances of success by providing the best habitat possible and still be prepared to separate them if it doesn't work (and it might work, you just don't know). Can your friend do this?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 143 guests