Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: hello from California

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:15 pm   hello from California

Hi all. I am a mother of four boy children and one RES his name is Raph.

Comming here looking for advice... thanks
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:47 pm   

There is a lot of wonderful advice here, you came to the right spot. Don't forget to look at the main site as well and let us know if you have any questions.

How big is Raph, and what is his set up like?

As always, we love to see pics, so if you have some, be sure to share!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:25 am   

we have tried to take pics but he hides in his shell. he does love to bask in the light. you can see the ridges on his shell where he has grown. they look like layers. I was looking at the pics in the gallery and they are all so small. the boys saw them and want to get another turtle and hope for hatchlings. Do adult turtles eat thier young or eggs?
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:33 am   

Placing hatchlings in your tank with your other turt wouldn't be advised. I have never heard of them eating the smaller turts, but can unknowingly harm them. My other concern is that in another post you are concerned about the cost of one turt, so why get another? Yeah, hatchlings are cute, but they grow to be just like the one you have. Having more than one turtle isn't like having more than one cat. It means the cost of one turtle times two. Turtles are not community animals, they often have to be seperated due to aggression. So, not only do you have one set up but two...two tanks, two stands, two UVB lights, two heaters, two filters, etc....If I had known what I was getting into before I got my two turts, I would have only gotten one. Mine were a gift though, and so I am dealing with what I have. So far I haven't had to seperate them, but I am already on the look out for another set up, just in case.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:40 am   

Thank you. I was looking at other posts and many had two or more I thought they need a companion. I was hoping another would make it nicer. do you think he would be more calm if his tank was in the living room where people are always walking by or keep him in the game room where there are only people there from 3 in the after noon til school in the morning. I am worried about a new tank. but I want him to be happy, as happy as a turtle can be. I know it will never cuddle like a cat or sleep at the end of the bed like the dog but I want it to be a member of the family. is the hissing normal?
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:48 am   

No companion needed! In fact, I would fear in your situation that it wouldn't make it nicer, but just the opposite.

As for where to place your tank, it's my understanding that it should be placed in a low traffic area. Lights should be on a regular day/night cycle, and if people are watching tv after lights out, your turt can still see you.

The moderators don't seem to be online tonight, but I am sure they will have plenty to add to these posts we have been sharing when they come around.

I wouldn't stress too much right now. Just give some of these things some thought. There are several people on here that are still struggling to find/afford set ups the size they should be. Temporarily, he will be ok. Or she, I guess it is.

edit - I have heard of hissing from time to time. Don't know what it means, or why.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:55 am   

I really appreciate your help you are giving me great ease of mind. I want the best for them. The human kids say I spoil the animals. So what if my dog has a heated bed...LOL he sleeps on the floor or I should say supposed to.

Her lights are on a 10 hour cycle. It goes off at 7 at night and the lights tv included go off at 8. She doesnt seem to bask alot. Loves to swim and like tread water. foot on a plant holding her up just so her nose is out of the water. Good thing about the companion. I really dont want another one but if it would have helped I would have done it.

Read in other posts about alge on the shell. She is never slimy. Also the cuddle bone would I drop that in the water or keep it on dry land. if in the water would it desolve?
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:02 am   

For the cuddle bone, cut the hard backing off and cut it into smaller pieces and just drop it in the water. If it last long enough, it might sink, either way is fine. Turts eat in the water, so don't place food in dry areas.

She might not be basking for a couple of reason, one being that she is in a higher traffic area, and two because the basking area isn't warm enough for her. What is the temp of her basking area? It should be about 10 degrees warmer than the water temp. I believe you mentioned a UVB bulb earlier, but I don't remember at this point. They don't put out heat, so if you haven't already, you'll want to suppliment it with a regular bulb as well to provide the extra heat needed.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:17 am   

I dont know the temp of the basking area. There is a UVB bulb directly over the basking area. there is also a tube light over the back of the tank for the tank light. it says that is is a UVA and UVB bulb there are two differnt bulbs in the light that is over the tank. there is no one in the room during the day except on the weekends. I just peek in the room at her. I can tell you there is something so calming watching her swim. it is more peaceful then petting the cat.
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:24 am   

I understand that...I can sit and watch my turts for hours.

At walmart you can buy a simple themometer for a couple of bucks. I just lay mine on the basking area for about 10 minutes and then get a reading. Just be careful with your little monster that she doesn't eat that too!

The UVB bulb sounds like it is in good place. I don't think that your tube bulb at the back though is going to create enough heat. I use a regular 75 watt bulb and it is placed in a clamp light clamped to the edge of the tank, about 10 inches away. Don't buy the expensive clamp lights at the pet store either, go to walmart's automotive section, they're like 6 bucks!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:02 am   

I think I read that the hissing sound is just them blowing out their air and it is normal.
Welcome to the forum.
fishandcandy
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Jan 24, 2006
Location: Indio, CA

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:06 am   

Thank you for taking so much time to answer my Qs.

This place has put me at soo much ease. It just didnt feel right what the vet was saying anymore.
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:09 am   

Somewhere at the top of one of the sections is a sticky that lists the herp vets by state. Check that and see if there is something close to you. Maybe what your turt needs is a second opinion, lol.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:12 am   

thank you I found it. THe one I am going to is the one on the list. There are 3 others in the area close by. I think I will give them a call. THis place is AWESOME!!
Raph
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 15, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:55 am   

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're finding the answers that you need. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Jul 3, 2005
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 95 guests