Page 1 of 1

Hello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:22 pm
by MichaelS
*stands up* Hi, my name is Michael and I have 2 red ear sliders. *sits down*

Both are females and are almost 3 years old.

I have to praise this site and the information it provides for RES enthusiasts just like me. Thank you to the people who run this site.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:57 am
by TinySlider2
Welcome to Turtle Talk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:09 am
by steve
Welcome to Turtle Talk! Both females... are you going to make a nesting area soon? My female RES is about 2 1/2 and I think a nesting area may be needed next year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:30 am
by MichaelS
steve wrote:Welcome to Turtle Talk! Both females... are you going to make a nesting area soon? My female RES is about 2 1/2 and I think a nesting area may be needed next year.


RES mature for breeding at about 5 years of age, this is when the female shell size is about 6 inches. When the time is right I will prepare a 20 gallon tank with about 4 inches of potting soil or soil/vermiculite mixture. Also RES will typically nest in May and June.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:57 am
by sonyj
Welcome to the forum....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:24 pm
by steve
MichaelS wrote:RES mature for breeding at about 5 years of age, this is when the female shell size is about 6 inches. When the time is right I will prepare a 20 gallon tank with about 4 inches of potting soil or soil/vermiculite mixture. Also RES will typically nest in May and June.


My female, as with many captives, is a bit large for her age. And with a regulated indoor environment, I expect that captive nesting periods are greater than their wild counterparts. Regardless if she is capable of laying healthy eggs, I'd rather be prepared for it when the time comes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:29 pm
by sonyj
steve wrote:My female, as with many captives, is a bit large for her age. And with a regulated indoor environment, I expect that captive nesting periods are greater than their wild counterparts. Regardless if she is capable of laying healthy eggs, I'd rather be prepared for it when the time comes.


I've heard that somewhere else as well, Steve and was trying to remember where before saying anything. :) If it were me as well, I'd rather be on the safe side and be prepared.