Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New Turtle - Elton

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm   New Turtle - Elton

I am a college student who has a healthy obsession with turtles (it's hard to not love them!). I have wanted one since before I can remember, and I have no idea why I never got one before now, but that's a different story. For my early early birthday, my girlfriend bought me a turtle, and I pitched in for his tank. He's a red eared slider and his name is Elton.That was about two days ago.

I am always extremely attentive to my animals and get extremely upset when so much as one thing looks wrong with them, and I've already almost had a heart attack several times (mostly because there are some things about turtles that you can't read.) So far, he looks extremely happy, but I know that since I live in a dorm and can't use a submersible heater, I need to find an alternative heat source at night. He has a basking lamp that I read can be used for a heat source at night, but the light is extremely bright, so is there any way that I can get a different, darker light so that it doesn't hinder my sleeping (because I don't get enough as it is)? Right now, the heater in my dorm is on at 90 degrees to keep him from freezing, and I am taking showers every 3 hours to keep from sweating myself to death.

Also, we bought one of those things from Walmart that's like $50 that supposedly includes everything. He's in a 10 gal tank right now, but only until I can get an apartment to upgrade to a 30 or 40 gal (dorm rules: < 10 gal only). Is there anything else I need besides a basking lamp, the rock that they gave me (which cuts off his ability to swim, so I'm getting a floating one ASAP), and the filter? What kind of food will be okay for him? He's only just started eating the food I've given him - it came in a package with his tank - and I grabbed shrimp treats instead of Reptomin, so I clearly need to get him food ASAP, but what kind?

All in all, I am extremely ashamed of myself that I had been getting ready for this day for my entire life, and I thought I knew everything a person could know about turtles, and while I knew that getting a turtle on a whim was a bad idea, I didn't think twice. I don't regret getting him, and I believe he can live happily in the tank he has right now, but it's going to be a couple more days until it''s perfect. And a couple more months before I can get him his ideal home.

Thanks,
Kat Elme
KatElme
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm   Re: New Turtle - Elton

I'm not sure I understand, you are allowed to have a tank, but not a heater? That makes no sense. You can get ceramic heat emitter lamps. They don't produce any light, just heat, and I am not sure if they are designed for 24/7 operation, or have any kind of thermostat. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=ceramic+heat+emitter&sprefix=ceramic+h. You will still want to add a UVB light for basking during the day, but the ceramic could work for the UVA (Heat).

As far as filtration goes, canister filters are the best, you should get a filter rated for at least 3 times the size of your tank. I used this one in Jordtim's temporary 10 gallon tank. http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26038-ReptoFilter-125-GPH/dp/B003JVYY7M/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1319506050&sr=1-2 It worked pretty well for the 2-3 weeks he was in his temporary home. If you are planning on upgrading his tank, then get a canister filter that would be sufficient for the new tank and use it on the 10 gallon if feasible.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 am   Re: New Turtle - Elton

For food, try using Baby Reptomin and toss any pellets that were given to you.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests