Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:21 pm
Our turtle story started with Over the Hedge, actually. Me and Michael went to see that movie, and he really liked the character Vern, and sort of got fixated on how cool it would be to have a pet turtle. I figured a turtle would be simple enough to get and take care of, so we did a little research into the different kinds and really only found the basics, a rough idea of what they eat, whether they're land or aquatic, and how big they get. We originally talked about getting a mud turtle, because of the kinds listed on some site we found, those would be the smallest. Then we started searching pet stores, and found only tortoises and large sliders. We spent a whole day driving to every pet store in the area and were pretty much told that no one sells turtles anymore. We decided to think about the slider, but on the way home I thought to call my friend's mom and ask where she got her turtles. She told me that they were class pets, and when the teacher retired, he had a drawing for them. Greg was the only one that brought back a permission slip so he wound up with both. So they had those turtles for 7 years. She mentioned that maybe since Greg was leaving for college he might not want them anymore, and we realized that we hadn't found many other good options. I asked my friend to find out if we could take one of the turtles, and they said yes! We got Napoleon, and he lived with us happily for about 2 months, then suddenly his shell changed color and he stopped eating. After a trip to the emergency clinic and a lot of online research, he improved, and I finally found this site, and realized how much we were doing wrong. We upgraded his whole setup, adding proper lighting, more space and water, a heater, better filtration, better diet...the whole nine yards. His RI came back a few months later, but he seems to have recovered fully now. In the middle of this, I stopped by my friend's house to pick some stuff up and caught a glance at Slowpoke. After getting used to Napoleon, it was shocking to me. He looked so huge in this little 10 gallon tank, with only a 40 watt bulb for light and heat, and about an inch of water in the bottom. So I started begging...I emailed Greg repeatedly, promising to give Slowpoke great care if they'd let me adopt him. I never heard back from Greg, not sure if he just couldn't make up his mind or if he was just too busy, but I brought it up again when his mother called and asked me to turtle-sit for two weeks. She called and convinced him to let me take Slowpoke! So he came home with me two nights ago. He's going to the vet tomorrow, then depending on what kind of treatment he needs he'll either stay with me for a while or go live with Michael right away. Mainly I just don't want to force Michael to have to give him shots. For as long as he's at my apartment he has to stay in the 10 gallon, but he at least has a better basking bulb and his water temperature is up in the 70's (I tried putting napoleon's heater in there last night, and it's definitely broken, it was set for 78 and heated the water to 85) and he's eating better. The rest will get added as I'm able to buy stuff.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules
Katie
I heart my herpies!