Other Turtle Discussion :: Some Species Questions

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm   Some Species Questions

Ok, so, I did some thinking here, and some planning.

I have come to the conclusion that a RES may *not* be the best turtle for me, just because I don't really know what the future holds for me yet. A 40 gallon tank, and maybe even a 60 would be probably ok for me right now, and I can afford a Filstar XP3, so that means I'm pretty set up to that 60 gallon size. When a RES, and they almost assuredly will, exceeds that size, I don't know where I'll be when that happens. I might not be able to swing a 100 gallon tank for size alone, let alone cost and the whole new "startup" expenses.

I also took Steve's advice and looked at Turtle Rescue LI's page, and I realized that while I might be able to get hatchlings from them, I also don't want to turn my back on older turtles that may be harder to adopt out. I'm also willing to consider less than ideal ones, as again, they're hard to adopt, so a stunted one or one that had a rougher start in life would work, but again, size becomes an issue. This leaves me with something of an issue.

I know that these guys can live to 40+ years, and even if they're unhealthy, maybe that's down to 30 years if they still get proper care and an environment that's good for them. I consider it an obligation and a must that I should be able to reasonably commit to that timeline, even if, say, I have to adopt my turtle to someone else down the road for some reason. This brings me back to the issue of their adult size and associated problems.

Doing some added research, I have some suggestions from others of species that will stay much smaller as adults, and in some cases, are as a species very friendly and loving. Here's the list others have offered up, and I'm really open to any of them (though I still haven't closed my mind to RES or YBS or similar):

Cagle Maps
Musk/Stinkpot Turtle
Africa Dwarf Mud Turtle
3 Striped Mud Turtle
Reeves Turtle

The Reeves seem to get quite a bit of positive feedback as being very friendly and even somewhat attention seeking, which is perfect for me. I enjoy friendly animals, and would prefer one that won't try to take my finger away from me every other day for the next 40 years, lol. People suggest that there are some sex bred ones that are intended to remain small, though even so, they should only get to 6" max, and at the worst case would still probably be pretty happy in a 40 gallon.

The others are all pretty cute, too, and I'd be happy to consider any of them. Do you all have any input? Thanks!
katie_turtle
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
Location: NYC
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:34 pm   Re: Some Species Questions

Im going to guess you want to start out with a hatchling for all these species soo:

Cagles is a no on getting. Only males are small while females can hit 6-7inches. Still not bad though but you seem more for the 40gallon setup.

The others or all good in my opinion, just your choice. Though i will say my musk/mud turtles. will come to you and beg too amd i always found them friendly. Never had any of my musk turtles bite me.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 pm   Re: Some Species Questions

I've seen some giant reeves in my day, id lean against those too. The odds of you finding a dwarf african in the market, are pretty slim. Most pelomedusa stay small, as well as most kinosternon/sternotherus. Male texas, cagles, black knobbed, ringed, and yellow blotched maps stay small enough, and male southern painteds. Some european pond turtles stay small, and so do spotteds. I feel like I'm forgetting some.
justatwinturbo
 
Posts: 115
Joined: May 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:15 am   Re: Some Species Questions

Thanks, DB4L, lol, it sounds like the musks or muds might be the option - I'll look into them. I got a response from TRLI, they say they can place two male RES with me, and that the 55-60 should be acceptable for them, but bigger is always better. Given that, and given that I don't have to buy them from some possibly risky breeder, I'd like to adopt, and since TRLI is already overloaded with RES, I'll be happy to take a pair of existing tankmates in and give them a break. Once I get my setup going, I'll see if I can scrounge up a few dollars to give to them as a donation to keep them going, rather than buying the turtles.

Thanks, JATT, I'll keep those guys in mind. I'm looking to stay as aquatic as possible, so it's nice to have options.
katie_turtle
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
Location: NYC
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 am   Re: Some Species Questions

I recommend a baby musk turtle. They're tough, and remain less than 5"
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
User avatar
Linus
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:06 am   Re: Some Species Questions

Aww but baby Musks are so cute :o
Image
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:11 am   Re: Some Species Questions

Would they be OK with RES in the same tank if I decided to get one?
katie_turtle
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
Location: NYC
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:48 pm   Re: Some Species Questions

katie_turtle wrote:Would they be OK with RES in the same tank if I decided to get one?

Sure. You just need to make sure there is driftwood or something they can easily climb from the bottom to the top of the water for an adult. If your asking about a hatcling musk with adult res. No
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 pm   Re: Some Species Questions

Not a hatchling, I'll ask if they have any they'd like to place at TRLI as well. Have a more mixed environment. :)
katie_turtle
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
Location: NYC
Gender: Female


Return to Other Turtle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 124 guests