Page 1 of 1

RES and Tent Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 pm
by apexKBC
I have both RES and Tent Turtle
can i keep both in same tank,
will they will be mating.
Or should i keep them alone

I have one RES 3.5 inches male
2 tent @ first female 2 inches second 1.5 inches.

Can someone help for care.plz

Re: RES and Tent Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:37 pm
by steve
Hi, welcome to the site. You should really keep them separate. They might mate, but won't likely produce any viable eggs.

Re: RES and Tent Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:35 pm
by apexKBC
Thanks you,
soooo much

But i had one query, its for one day now and they are in same tank.
I think my RES needs tent, he likes her company.

Re: RES and Tent Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:22 am
by penelope
Well...a hard decision.
If they mate, you can always remove / destroy the eggs.
If you are sure they are happy together, then I guess it's OK as long as you watch carefully, and make an informed decision.
Meaning that you need to keep in mind that the RES is much larger (in comparison) to the little Tents and if he gets grumpy one day, the little ones may be hurt or killed before you can do anything about it.
It is a tough question to answer - we can talk about the way a RES acts (can be aggressive) but know little about the Tents.
If you choose to keep them together, at the first sign of aggression separate them immediately - please.
If the RES is eating all the Tent's food, you may want to feed them separately so the little ones get nutrition.

Do they have names?

Re: RES and Tent Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm
by apexKBC
I agree u r absolutely right!
So when feeding my RES(Tito) eats all the food of my tent(name still remaining), hence i have to feed them alone.

Can u suggest one name for my Tent(Female)
I am confused which name i should keep.