Page 1 of 1

does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm
by cardboard
whenever i start playing guitar, my res pops his head out of the water very unusually and almost immediately climbs up onto his dock and stretches his head out, as if listening.. is it possible he's enjoying the music? :P

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:40 am
by SSMcLeod
Quite possible - mine like to watch tv ;)

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:41 am
by SINI5T3R
Im sure he hears the sounds and just likes to listen as they are VERY Social Animals after they are used to the presents of Humans...try to do that to some turtles out in a river and they will be gone before you can even plug your guitar into your portable amp lol

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:30 pm
by ytse411
Sylvia used to watch TV all the time when we lived in an apartment. We blasted some metal awhile back - she came out of the water and stretched her neck as far as possible towards the speakers...too funny!

I think she likes the thumpin' bass lines. :)

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 pm
by craftyinnh
I was wondering about this too. I have a RES named Sheldon. Whenever I put on music he goes to one corner of the tank and sticks just a little bit of his head out of the water (from the eyes forward) with his front legs against the glass. He will sit like that for hours on end, and even fall asleep like that. When the music first goes on he will stretch his head up but then dives for his corner. 80s music seems to be a favorite along with Randy Travis.

I have also noticed that when he's upset at night and having trouble getting to sleep that music helps him calm down. He usually doesn't have a problem but when the kid is home for more than two days his sleep schedule gets upset because she will be watching TV until midnight or later. He also doesn't like it when there are a lot of people in the house, he gets really restless and has trouble sleeping then too.

My daughter and I tried an experiment at a pond I go to all the time. I have very distinctive sounding keys. We sat down for a bit and watched for the turtles but none came towards where we were. Then I jingled my keys and three of them came over to check us out. I never feed them but they definitely recognized the jingle of my keys. It was the first time I had a witness for it.

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm
by Sora
lol, I'm not sure if they quite "hear" it as they most likely "feel" the vibrations on their little ear pockets. Whenever I play my Cello, Sora always stops next to it and looks up at me( I let her wander the house sometimes). At first she didn't seem to like it, cause she always ran away, so I didn't play when she was out, but after awhile, I guess she got used to it :roll: .( she seems to like Bach the most :lol: )

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:54 pm
by ElectricTurtle
Tesla (my turt) seems to enjoy enka music. He sits at the top of the water with his head tilted. Must be the vibrating voices. XD

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:47 am
by wcrimi
SSMcLeod wrote:Quite possible - mine like to watch tv ;)


Mine too. They love basketball (either that or I love basketball and it's always on TV).

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 am
by Mcfluryyy
Mine just hates loud sounds...

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:57 am
by sflemin2
Raina love to watch TV. I have a pretty big TV in the same room as the tank but when I play Soul Calibur, she always hops up on the basking dock to watch :)

Re: does anybody else's RES enjoy music?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm
by Tokapeli
Kaya seems to like the didgeridoo, maybe. If you dont know what a didgeridoo is its that Australian aborigine instrument that makes really weird deep resonating vibrations. She will usually stick her head out of the water while im playing, so the other day i walked over the tank while i was playing it to see if she would react at all to it. Well i think the sound might have been too loud or the vibrations got uncomfortable or something because she kinda freaked out, she swam backwards away from he didge as fast as she could, slamming into the tank like she was really scared or something. So i will let her enjoy it from a distance from now on. She also seems to like bob marley, she just seems so much more calm while its playing.