Page 1 of 1

Moving

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:03 pm
by Sir Max
On the 27th i will be moving to a near by city about an hour drive away

but one small problem is my turtle..how should i move him? should i use the container the reptile store sold me him in? with 1 inch of water in it or so..he would be in the container for nearly the WHOLE day..im worried


has anyone else had to move with a turtle?..and if so what did you do..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:45 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
An hour drive away would make your turtle be in the container all day?

Doesn't matter, a turtle can be without water and food for 24 hours with no issue. If it's cold out, you want to insulate the container while you are outside. If it's hot out, make sure the air conditioner is on in your car, but make sure the turtle doesn't catch a draft.

I have moved my turtle several times. I put her on a towel in a plastic critter carrier (only thing they are good for, carrying) and put her in my car behind my drivers seat. When it's cold out, I put a blanket around the outside of the critter carrier under and around it, and I put the blanket mostly over the top of the carrier. Oh, and you can put your turtle on top of the towel, but if it's like mine, they'll bury themselves in it, so I just gently wrap her in it. She traveled like this for 8 hours from NY to MD. Then when I got to MD, I added some water to the carrier for her comfort, since her tank wasn't arriving until the next day.

Don't be worried, healthy turtles are fairly hearty, and can survive without water or food for at least 24 hours. Just don't let them overheat or get cold and you'll be fine. Oh, and when you put them back in the water, make sure the water is room temp and then gradually heat it, don't drop them in water that is more than 2-3 degrees above or below what the room is, or they could go into shock.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:57 pm
by Sir Max
Sounds good i will take your advice. thank you