Page 1 of 1

Living together

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:50 pm
by worldpeace
I just rescued another turtle from a lady who couldn't take care of her due to some health issues. She's almost 2 years old and around 5 inches long. She also came with her entire setup.

I wanted to try and see if she and Charlie (7 months old RES, about 3 inches) will get along if put together in a tank. So I put Charlie in her tank and kept a close eye on them. They were looking at each other suspiciously and she looked like she was trying to bite him. Every time they would get too close to each other I would use my hand and push one of them away. She attempted to nip at his back leg after which I took him out of the tank.

I was thinking of letting them swim together for about 30 minutes each day, with me supervising them. Do you think this strategy has a chance of working? I would be glad if they will get along alright since I am considering of buying a larger tank for both of them instead of having two separate ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:02 pm
by SINI5T3R
I think it has a chance to work over time if you do it every day and stick with it.

RES, like any pet wont like some random turtle coming into there home. You putting that baby in there is like some guy just walking into your house and following you around lol. so maybe if you got a different tank and put them both in there, they woudlnt be as bad?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:55 pm
by jwinters
Lol @ SINI5T3R's example.

I'm pretty sure they just need to get used to each other. I want to put my turtle's together eventually once they're closer in size. My RES eyeballs the new turtle from his own tank though. It's kind of funny to see them staring at each other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm
by worldpeace
I think that in the summer I'll buy a plastic pool (the one for kids) and let them swim together in the back yard. Right now I don't have any place other than their two tanks, so either one or the other has to trespass.

I've noticed something interesting. When they were getting close to each other and one of them made a sudden movement the other one would get scared and swim away like he/she saw a ghost. The funny part was the the tail was tucked "in between" the legs. Could it be that when they're afraid, turtles act exactly like a dog would?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 am
by SINI5T3R
worldpeace wrote:I think that in the summer I'll buy a plastic pool (the one for kids) and let them swim together in the back yard. Right now I don't have any place other than their two tanks, so either one or the other has to trespass.

I've noticed something interesting. When they were getting close to each other and one of them made a sudden movement the other one would get scared and swim away like he/she saw a ghost. The funny part was the the tail was tucked "in between" the legs. Could it be that when they're afraid, turtles act exactly like a dog would?



yeah they do that sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:04 pm
by Peva
What kind of turtle is the second one? The new one, is it just a RES?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 am
by worldpeace
Yes, she's a RES as well. She's been living alone for all her life, so that's why I think it will be hard to make her tolerate another turtle in her tank.