Other Turtle Discussion :: How you got your turtle.

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:21 pm   

BUMP!!
1 RES 6" Male-Alphonse
1 Russian Tortoise 4" Female-Noodles
1 RES 4"-Mr. Turtle (Until I find a better name me thinks)
1 Gerbil -Sookie
1 Hamster- Spock
2 Cats-Ling and Draco
1 Pug-Moggy

"Blessed Be."
User avatar
PinkyTurtle
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: New York

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 pm   

This is also in the PLEASE READ section above every new post or topic you make...

Turtle Talk Posting rules & guides wrote:Do not post the same topic/question multiple times and do not bump up your own topics.


No hard feelings, just be sure to read the rules. :wink:
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:33 pm   

the idea of getting a turtle came from me and my boyfriend's first date before we were together. i decided to ask him to go to Zilker park with me (texas). the park is very big with a live spring feeding into a river wher you can swim, canoo, ect, very pretty. anyway it was really awkward because we barely knew eachother and we were staring out into the water feeding ducks when about 10 turtles swam by. he told me to name it and that it would be our turtle. i gave it the very original name speedy.

anyway, for my valentines day present/ one year ann. i decided to get turtles for us to share and serve as memories for that first date. :)
2 female (maybe!) hatchling RES named Bubbles and Shemp

www.myspace.com/carolyn_yvette
User avatar
bubblestheturtle
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Location: Austin, TX

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 am   

When I was seven one day I decided I wanted a turtle. I'm random like that. Now that I'm an adult I don't really act upon those random impulses any more. In this case my parents acted on it. A week or so later my parents handed me a cup saying they had gotten me a soda. I looked in the cup to see what kind of soda it was and inside was a bit of water and a beautiful baby RES. :D

Recently I went to my local pet store and saw baby musk turtles. In hindsight I'm pretty sure it's illegal since they were all under 4 inches. Anyway, before I remembered about the four inch law I bought one and set him up in one of my RES's old tanks. It was kind of an impulse buy. He's so cute though! It reminds me of when I was seven and my RES was that small. Also illegal now to think of it (the size of when I got my RES). o_O
RES: Turtley - about 9" (She makes it a mission to measure her. :/)
Musk: Bolt - 4.5"
Mutt: Gaviota - small
User avatar
jwinters
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
Location: Southern California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 am   

I have always liked turtles. my mom made me a turtle birthday cake when I was 15. but I never really thought of owning one as a pet...

but then one day last summer I was in the pet store with my boyfriend looking for fish for his aquarium, and we saw they had a turtle. they are a small fish store and don't usually carry turtles or reptiles, but the lady at the front desk said someone was moving out of town and dropped off the turtle so she took it and decided to sell it. she said his past owner said he was about 7 years old. that's all she knows. didn't even know if it was a boy or a girl till i did some research!

he was in a 55 gallon tank but it was filled with about 1 inch of water, a tiny filter and one light. it had a reptile lizard rock on one end of the tank that came above the water line, to use as a basking rock, but it didnt really like it. it looked unhappy.

I decided to take it home. :)
75 gallons. . First-time turtle mom! :)

1 RES - Harley, male, 8yrs, 8 inches
harleysmom
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Aug 3, 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am   

I went to US then Taiwan in 2006 and there's 'turtle fishing' in the night markt there. With paperclips tape to many hatchling backs, and we were given some rods with hook to hook as much turtle before the string gets too wet and snap. We spend $10 on the rods and brought home 2 turtles. I gave a turtle to my neighbor, which was a sad mistake as they do not know how to take care of it. It lived in a deathbowl till around 4 inches, and was then given to their friend. And i kept one, which turned out to be a female. And btw we put them in our pocket when we went pass the metal detector and when we are in the plane, we put them in a plastic container with water enough just to soak their hands and legs and for drinking.
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 28, 2009
Location: Oak Park, CA USA

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:31 pm   

ReptileCity.com is awesome, cheap to ship, and they have very healthy turtles!
David Alvarado
Rio Grande Daddy
davialva12@aim.com
davidthegreat
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Feb 19, 2010
Location: North Georgia

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests