Other Turtle Discussion :: Bad news and good news

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:38 am   Bad news and good news

Hi all,

This morning, I lost my Ramen when basking under the sun. Turned out
Ramen is big or strong enough to climb out of the basking container.
I promise myself I will rig the basking container somehow to prevent
escape...

That was the bad news. The good news was, and this is somewhat a miracle,
my other turtle who was thought to be lost forever came back. Well, Heine
was found hiding underneath a small bush surrounded by soft dirt. Heine
looks healthy, clear eyes, strong movements, but rather unhealthy shell.
Some parts got fungus, I think. The shell looks better after some brushing,
though. Heine ate pellets like before: energetically.

I lost Heine about half a year ago. It's amazing that a turtle can survive that
long without being cared for, and not a wild turtle since birth.

I'm not sure what I'm feeling right now, combination of happy, sad,
grateful, feeling stupid. Ah well, I hope I can find Ramen tomorrow...
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:56 am   

OMG.. you found your lost turtle?~! Wow.. dats great~! I hope my turtles will appear back like Heine did.. :wink: I lost 2 of my turtles last October.

Anyway sorry for your lost, Ramen. I hope you can find Ramen too! Good LuCk~! All the best~!
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:50 pm   

omg that is cool if my turtles ever ran away i wouldn't know what to do. but trust me i doubt they wont lol they just climb high
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:47 pm   

MAybe put a container full of water outside and see if he come back.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
User avatar
Linus
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:00 pm   

Hi all,

This morning, I set up container with water just like sfmmfreak suggested (and
many more suggestions like that all over this forum). I also put some pellets in.
A while later, the container is still empty. However, I found Ramen!! Ramen was
nestled cozily on a bed of grass, green on green is kinda hard to spot...

Anyway, Ramen is doing fine. Now, I officially have two turtles :D !joyness!

Thanks for all your supports, people! :D
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 pm   

You must be doing something right! Hooray for you and your wandering turts!
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:18 am   

OMG~! I'm happy for you ~! yeay~!
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:48 am   

It is amazing how turtles can make it. I see why res after being released become an invasive species. I lost my res for a whole year outside. No water around and yet my neighbor found him last summer on the sidewalk. I couldnt beleive it. Congrats on finding yours healthy and living alive too.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:45 pm   

Whew! Congrats on finding both!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 am   

A captive turtle survived the wild and eventually came home. That's really interesting.

I think once Ramen realizes he/she can't survive without you he/she will return.

I'm sure you know the smelly food technique.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:24 pm   

Hey all,

Thanks for all the encouragements :D I hope people who lost their turtles
(especially Azfar) will be reunited with the turtles again one day.

Yes, now I officially have two turtles. Ramen didn't go missing for a long time:
only one day.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:45 am   

I've told this story to 2 non-turtle people. They're beyond impressed!

SO happy your turtles are doing great! :)
<3 my hank - RES
1 mosaic chinchilla - J.Peterman
1 standard chinchilla - cupcake
1 black lab - markie
User avatar
koreyleigh
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: West Islip, NY

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:03 pm   

Non turtle people are weird.
meowlacy
 
Posts: 35
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:11 am   

Thank you Kemul :) I miss them so much.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:22 pm   

That's amazing. I hadn't known so many people lost their turtles. Makes me less inclined to take mine outside. o_O
RES: Turtley - about 9" (She makes it a mission to measure her. :/)
Musk: Bolt - 4.5"
Mutt: Gaviota - small
User avatar
jwinters
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
Location: Southern California
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Other Turtle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests